danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Hey y'all,

I must say that I am dangerously close to converting over to the darkside, well atleast if I get a good deal!

I've been looking for a fixer upper for some time, and came across a 95 xr250 with a 280 cc kit in it that was ran low on oil. It definately needs a new rocker arm assembly and a new oil pump, but there may be other parts (most likely, just the in the engine) that would need replacing. I'm curious to ask what a rebuild of this magnitude would cost. Everything in the bottom end of the motor, all the way up to the piston and rings has had recent maintinence (or so I'm told) so I don't think that would need replacing. The rest of the bike appaers to be in good shape as well.

I think I can get a good price on this bike as is, but the rebuild cost I would like to keep under $1000.00. Is this possible? Is it worth my time? The work would all be done myself, and I am very much mechanically inclined.

Thanks,
Dan

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
It's very hard to say what this would cost without taking the engine apart and inspecting every part. If the rockers are damaged, there is a good chance that the cam is damaged also and there is potential for other damage as well.

If I were buying this bike, I would ask the owner if I could disassemble the engine and inspect it first. If he won't let you do that, you don't want it.

Click on the link for Service Honda on the left side of the page. They have great discount prices and a very good on-line parts search feature where you can price the parts that you will need.

Just my $ .02

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom