XR100 chains stretch like crazy--normal?

bigiron

Jun 24, 2002
Got my kids a couple of XR100's last summer. The non o-ringed chains need adjustment after every ride. Is this normal? Should I upgrade the chains? If so would I need to replace the sprockets(maybe 300 of road miles on them)?

Any relatively inexpensive and simple mods to help performance and/or durability?

Thanks for your replies!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What are you doing to maintain them, and with what?
My kid got a full season out of the stock chain on his xr100. Who knows if you have the same chain he had or not. OEM may be different brands.
BTW...it's not stretch, it' probably wearing of the pins and bushings that you are seeing.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
What are you doing to maintain them, and with what?
My kid got a full season out of the stock chain on his xr100. Who knows if you have the same chain he had or not. OEM may be different brands.
BTW...it's not stretch, it' probably wearing of the pins and bushings that you are seeing.

Hey Jay-
I tried to keep the chain on my XR (back in the day), but it didn't work. I know four guys who've got them now, and they need to tighten the chain (it gets loose to the point of falling off) every half an hour of riding. You probably are a lot better at us than the rest of us (not being sarcastic), but for the normal guy, the stock chain on the xr100 seems to make it from the show room to the truck ramp before adjustment is needed :yeehaw:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OEM chains can be various brands. Depends on the deal at the time with the factory.
Low-end chains need extra special attention to make sure they are cleaned/lubed/and above all, adjusted properly.
On both our boy's xr100 and xr80 I never did see them wear like what you guys are describing, but it sure doesn't surprise me. I'm certain Honda hasn't went whole hog on their chain offerings.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
We got about 90 hrs out of the stock XR 80 chain (1 year). It did stretch. No complaints though, so I bought another one with OEM sprockets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom