Status
Not open for further replies.

redskinz

May 1, 2003
To XR or CRFX? That is THE question.

Finally! I found a forum with actual dirt riders.

To those fellow dirt riders I am in a pinch. First I'll give a run down, and then maybe you all will help me decide.

I grew up riding 4 strokes, always owned 4 strokes, and dearly love 4 strokes. I never even rode a 2 stroke until about 4 months ago. As much fun as it is, I still love to ride like the 4 strokers do so well. I'll be 34 in July, am a short 5'6" and a hefty 180 lbs. (mostly gut unfortunatally). I currently do not own a bike and haven't for about 4 years. The last bike I had was a dual carb.(pain in the neck) 86 XR250R. I grew up riding the fine forests of the Pacific Northwest, but now live in the Florida Panhandle. The trails are so tight here that, as my KDX owning friend often jokes, you need to mount chain saws to your bars.

Anyways, my pinch is this. I'm looking at buying another thumper, but don't know which to get. The old XR250 wasn't exactly a speed demon, but I don't plan on racing anymore (although it would be nice). I looked at the '03 XR250 and like it , but at the same time I'm worried that it wont be enough. Looking at the '03 XR400, and worried that it will be to big and heavy (260 dry).
Or should I wait until the CRF250X comes out?
I have two problems with this. 1) I don't care for the way the CR styled seat sits, nor am I excited about the extra inch in seat height. As I said, the trails here are so tight that even the best riders out here occaionally have to put afoot down here and there. 2) After reading the new reviews of the WR250F (based off of the YZ250F), everyone seems to say that to enjoy it you hae to ride it aggressively like a MXer. I'm afraid the CRFX is going to be the same way.

So, is it XR250? Why? Is it XR400? Why? And why over the 250? Or is it the CRF250X? Why not an XR?

I do know the XR's suspensions are soft. Is the 250 going to be too soft for 180 lbs. (god I wish I were back at 140)?

Thanks for any input and please feel free to suggest any other bike, just remember my pockets are only so deep (KTM, GAS GAS, Husky......Too much)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I would recommend the YZ250F or WR250F if you are not wanting to wait. I had a 2001 YZ250F and loved it in the woods (I live in SC and have ridden trails and track in GA, Alabama and Florida). If you are sold on a thumper I personally feel those are great choices (I'm 6' and 220 - mostly gut too :) ).

If you aren't sold on a thumper then there are a lot of other good choices too. The KDX comes to mind as does the KX and YZ250 (my personal favorite 2-smoke converts for woods if you don't buy a woods specific bike like the GG or KTM).

I've also seen some really good deals lately on new GG 200's and some KTM's too if you were by chance interested.

Good luck.

Ivan

Daisycutter

Apr 28, 2003
The new CRFs pull just like 2-strokes. If you are partial to the behavior of the old school 4-strokes stick to the XRs. For a 180lb man I'd reccomend a XR-400. :)

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
My vote would be for the 400 as well, and a shorter foam for the seat. I think that the 250 is an excellent choice as well, just expect less power than that of the 400. I think as Daisycutter said if your hooked on traditional fourstroke power I would stick w/the Xr line up, plus if you have no intentions of racing the cost of the Xr's will also keep those shallow pockets happy. :)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I had the 250 for a couple years, and had to re-spring it for a few extra pounds. This bike is excellent in the tight stuff. And, in tight riding, more power is often more of a problem. If you like the XR, I'd say do it. Heavier springs, a Summers Racing fork brace, a different pipe and better air filter will help this bike a bunch. Oh yeah, different tires for the sand as well (Dunlop 756's).

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
At 5'6", I would suggest the CRF, the seat is lower; you said you're concerned about putting a foot down. The YZ250F would be a good choice, but its more expensive, unless you're willing to go used. The YZ250F is much lighter as well.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The XR250 is a GREAT bike for what your wanting. Also consider that an overbore to around 280cc and a good pipe (in addition to the standard mods of air filter cage, remove snorkle,...) will give you a big boost in the same nimble package. Want more? get the head worked over a little and even go for a 300 or 320 stroker. Granted it won't have the same level of reliability but give a little get a little or in this case get A LOT :scream:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
One other key tidbit for your decision: When I had my XR250, I was able to ride a pretty stock XR400. My modified XR250 felt like it put about the same amount of power down as the stock XR400, and the 400 felt heavier (I'm sure the 400 had more power, but it didn't feel like it...).

Also, I sold the XR250 for a WR400. While I liked the power, I hated the seat height and high center of gravity. And, in tight woods, it sucked. I now am riding a KTM 250 2 stroke and am not looking back.

Go with the XR250....

redskinz

May 1, 2003
I say thank you to all that replied.
I think you have all helped me make a decision.
I'm definately going to get an XR. And it will probably be the 400. The 250 might be an excellent choice too, but a couple of you said something about changing or replacing this and that. I'm looking for a bike that will suit a hefty short guy wthout paying more change for upgrades just to tote the weight.
If I misunderstood what you were saying about the suspension and weight, please tell me. Any more advice will be liked.
Thanks again.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Although that isn't the lightest bike around, i'm sure you will really enjoy it. The power is so smooth, you will be able to ride longer and focus on the ride rather than constant clutching and shifting. I have a 650XR and absolutely LOVE the motor. It's like a tractor that revs!

Suspension- you may end up needing a spring or two to suit your weight, but that's possible on any bike. Set the sag on the rear suspension and have fun riding, then when you get a chance you can play with the clickers. Usually an owners manual has good info on which does what.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I just threw out the modded XR250 as an alternative if you ever decided you need/want more go. The stock power is not bad after you do the standard mods of removing the snorkle and changing out the filter cage to let more air in. I'm 5'10" and around 215, the stock suspension is way soft but easily fixed to accomidate my size. If you can try to ride both, you might really be suprised. It won't be a bad choice either way though as they are both excellent bikes for the task! :thumb:

redskinz

May 1, 2003
Thank you guys for the input. I hope I didn't confuse you, but someone mentioned about if I was questioning the XR's to the 230 CRF. I wasn't. I'm questioning about th NEW CRF250X that is supposed to be coming in December. The new one that is to replace the XR250 (at least I think its going to). They are supposed to design it with the CRF250 in mind (much like the YZF and WRF).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I seriously doubt that the CRF250 will be an XR replacement. Looks for it to be an addition to the lineup. The CRF250X is a race bike geared towards the blue WR250F. The XR lineup may be old tech but it's also the best selling class of bikes made plus the tooling has got to be paid for several times over.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i can't say so authoritatively, but i'd bet a pile of money that the XR250 and 400 are sprung for the same weight, and at 180 you really aren't that far outside of the mean.

if the trails are as tight as you say, get the XR250 cuz the xtra power of the 400 won't really be worth its extra weight.

have you tried out a woods specific 2 stroke, like a KDX or KTM EXC? they really are completely different animals than an MX 2 stroke. you'd get a bike lighter than the XR250 with more power than the XR400. just a thought.

jeremiah

redskinz

May 1, 2003
From XR to 2 Stroke?

O.K., just when I thought I was about to buy the XR400, a friend totally messed it up.
He is a bike salesman and rides an '03 KDX200 (his personal preference over the 220, although the220 was his recommendation for me). He met me out here for three days straight and let me ride his KDX (although its far fom stock) while he'd follow me on his wifes TTR125L giving advice on this and that. At first I didn't like his bike from another friends KDX. It was set up for alot of down low power that seemed to come on rather uncontrollable for woods riding, but after the first days six hours I think it was set pretty darn good.
After three days (about 6 hrs. a day) of riding his KDX, I just might have changed my mind. So I went down to his shop yesterday to kind of price compare the XR400 and KDX220 (with a few mods. like different sproket, bars, chain, pipe, ect.). He then suggested that I drive about an hour west to this other dealer to check out some other bikes. He wouldn't tell me what kind, but said I couldn't go wrong and everybody would look at me and say "cool".
So of course, like a puppet, off I go. To my suprise, I walk in to this watercraft store, and there sits several KTM's. At first I about walk out because 6-7 thousand was a little much for my pockets, but thought that I drove this hour, at least I'll look.
Being that I still have a 4 stroke mind, the first bike I saw caught my eye. A 450RFS EXC. The mechanic that also was selling (its in hicktown) let me sit on it. After talking with him and telling him my story, he said he would feel uncomfortable even selling me the bike and since I didn't want to spend a lot to come with him to the back. There sat several '02 models. A 200EXC, 200MXC, 250EXC, and a 300EXC.. After looking at all four bikes, he said for the type of riding I was going to be doing, forget the MXC. And since I'm pretty new to 2 strokes, the best recommendation was the 200EXC. It was priced about 4900 out the door. About the same for the KDX with all the trimmings (although, the EXC wasn't the best looking bike, it was still a KTM).

So my question is this, since I don't know anyone with a 200EXC, would you go with the KDX line or the 200EXC??? If anyone out there has a 200EXC, it would be great to hear from you. Please tell me why you would choose one from the other.
I put this same question to another friend who has an '03 KDX200 and he said that right now he'd keep his KDX because its set up like he wants, but if he didn't have it and was looking at the two, then the EXC would be it.

Thanks in advance to all riders.

So, being new to 2 strokes and not ever

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i've never driven a 200exc, but, from what i know about my KTM and others, i'm going to speculate that the 200exc and KDX are going to very very similar machines. the KTM will be a more modern design (its been about 8 years since the KDX got an update), however.

for the riding you are doing, its a toss up IMO. however, if i were you, i'd lean toward a KDX 220. they are pretty fun in stock form, but i'm guessing mellower than the KTM and more 4-stroke like.

i think you'd be happy with either bike.

jeremiah

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Having ridden both extensively, I'd say that the power of the XR400 over the 250 is worth the 17 pounds of extra weight. The 400 is taller and heavier, but I preferred it over the 250 in MOST situations. The 400 is also sprung heavier than the 250 and 180lbs is about right. I am 6'4 though and the 400 may be a hassle for a 5'6" person on hillsides and other places where your feet might need to COMFORTABLY touch the ground. If I buy another trail bike, it would most likely be a KDX200 or a 200exc.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
I would do the KDX. I have owned several. They are inexpensive and bulletproof. They need modification from stock form, but that allows you the opportunity to customize it to your specific needs. These are great woods bikes. Plus, there is a cult following behind the KDX. You will be able to find a lot more people to advise you on it than the KTM. I'd definitely do the KDX before I did the XR's!!

Jimbo

redskinz

May 1, 2003
Thank you for all that replied to my last thread, "To XR or CRF? That is THE Question".
I put this new thread out there because I feel that most two stroke riders wont want to read the other.
So here it is. I'm a short 5'6" and 180 lbs.. I just about bought the XR400, when I spent a few days on a friends KDX200 (far from stock though). He is a dealer at a local shop and suggested that I go with the KDX220 (with some mods.). Being a long time friend though, he wasn't pushing for the sale and knew that this would be a bike I'd have to have for a while and knowing that I didn't have a lot of cash. He suggested a drive to another dealer out of town.
To make a long story short, it was a KTM dealer with a 2002 200EX/C and 250 EX/C. The 200 he would let me have for $4900 (about the same I'd spend for the KDX with mods.) out the door and suggested that for the little 2 stroke experience I had it would be the best one for me.

Here is the question.
Knowing quite a few riders thate KDX's they say the KDX, except 1 said he would go KTM for the price. Should I get the KTM200 or the KDX220?

Thanks in advance.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Whichever you get, the kdx220 or ktm200 they're both great bikes in their own respect. I got the kdx220 and it has some mods., but just bolt on stuff, and I'm really happy with it on the trails. Although, I've never riden the ktm200, I think its a better race ready package and would be the clear choice if that was you intention. But if you want to play ride with you friends on the trails and like 4stokes then get the kdx.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you don't want to change this and that just get the KTM200 E/XC and be done with it. The most you'll need are some hand guards and a skid plate plus some gas & oil.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Yeah....get the ktm, but don't worry about parts, cause you'll never need to replace a thing on them....and don't worry about the rear shock, its just as good as a linkage sytem that every other bike mfg. uses....plus its orange?

redskinz

May 1, 2003
I really don't want to put money into the bike, since the KDX220 is about $4700 and the KTM is $4900, I think I'll spring the $200 and get the KTM.

Any advice about the seat??? It's hard as a brick!

Thanks for helping me out.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
Who told you the KDX is $4700?? Take a look at your local dealer and see what he gets for them. The KDX 220 MSRP is $4399 and the 200 (which many argue is a better bike) is $3999. Dealers typically will give you a deal beyond that. Plus, the design of the KDX hasn't changed significantly since 1995. Therefore, you can easily find yourself a good condition used one with the aftermarket mods and save more $$.

Jimbo

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
The seat will soften up a bit on the 200. Wear lycra bike shorts with the padding and you won't notice the seat.

The KTM is a good choice! Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom