PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Hi everyone.
Pick up my new XR650R on Saturday. Totally psyched.

I realize that this is a KDX forum, etc, but have noticed BRPs among members rides.

Have been gathering as much info as pos on the 650, and would appreciate it if any members could share their knowledge of the bike with me.

Running in advice. Frequency of initial oil changes.
Oil type advice synthetic oil/ natural oil.
Any other advice.

Never owned a 4 stroke during my 39 years on this planet.

PS. My KDX is STAYING with me !!

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Well, you figgered you would get me I guess.

You uncorked the bike, right? The intake rubber manifold will make you sick when you see it. It's a cynical attempt to make a dirt bike Cali Green. Toss it. The main goes up a dozen steps or more when you do, if that is any indication.

A 68s (not a typo, different than a 68) pilot is called for. Maybe fatter at sea level. The bike runs lean and hot down low and will boil easily in the tight stuff. Kind of an interesting contrast to folks here who say the KDX runs hot - not in comparison!!! A higher temp thermostat will allow the coolant to 'dwell' in the motor for longer, absorb more heat evenly, and the temp differential when it hits the radiator will keep things cooler. No kidding! Also, Redline Water Wetter coupled with the best coolant you can find, works. Or Evans coolant when it breaks in. A radiator fan is not a bad idea, I've not really needed it yet except on the occasional tight twisty and hot trail in August. I slapped a KX500 rad cap on it to increase coolant pressures slightly, preventing boiling. Seems to work.

The bike could use a pumper carb really, but it's not necessary. To enhance punch when blipping the throttle it's nice. Change the fork oil frequently in the beginning. Comes out the consistency of your two-year-old's nasal discharge.

There is a redesigned clutch bushing which you undoubtedly already have. Also footpeg mounting redesigns, again, you already have it if it's new. Baja Designs makes a turndown that keeps things quieter even if you use the comp baffle; I did not (modified the stocker retaining the spark arrestor). They also will rewind your stator for 200W output! If you wanna dualsport it, it seems to really like TrailWing 301/302 tires. They work really well in the dirt or street.

It's a whole different experience from the KDX of course, nice to have both to appreciate both. The KDX will never feel lighter or more nimble, nor easier to ride, than after riding the BRP. Oooooooo, but that right hand never felt sooooo effective! :aj:

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Ha Ha Ha, yeah I knew you would give me some good advice Mr. Chili, I told you before I was getting a BRP. Awesome comments as usual and noted. I also like the idea of both a KDX and a big thumper.
They are going to uncork the bike at the shop. Will double check everything anyways. Noted: 68s pilot.

Thank you too Mr. Rooster, appreciate your help.

Won't sleep much on Friday night !!!!!

Respect

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, you might consider a 70s if you can find one, at sea level. Buy it to play with at least. I run a 68s at 5K-8K ft. and it's not too fat. Runs nicely. Tried a straight 70 and it was about the same but not as crisp - that little 's' really does make it behave differently.

That yahoo group is definitely a fine source of information. Haven't been back there in a while, but they solved a lot of problems for me before I ran into them. Like here, in fact.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
You will love the big thumper power and handling in the fast open terrain. My rec'm is to ride with the basic Honda recommended unplugging of intake manifold, airbox, and exhaust, and the rec'm jetting. Then decide for yourself what you want in the way of additional performance goodies. Most riders will very soon go for custom suspension tuning for your weight and riding conditions before thinking about more motor.
Also be sure all items in "The Pig Pen" site have been taken care off. These are all little easily completed items that can become big problem if left unattended. The dealer will not address these Achilles Heel items.
You will probably want a larger gas tank. Stock tank is good for about 50 miles or less. I have IMS 3.2 and IMS 7.0 gal tanks. The 3.2 is narrower than stock and is usually adequate when gasoline is available at normal dual sport ranges of 75 miles. The most popular tank is the IMS 4.6 and is only slightly wider than the 3.2 I have covered 250 miles of easy dirt roads with the 7.0.

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Thanks Oldturtle. I do like those big tanks clear tanks.
Will follow the advice closely on the Pig Pen site first off.

Seems to be a lot of debate about what kind of oil to use in the bikes.

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
For what its worth, I run good ol valvoline 10/30 in my 2000 BRP. I change it every 200-300 miles, and a new filter every other oil change. I have never had a problem. I am on the original clutch with over 10k miles on it. though, it hasn't seen much action since getting my KDX 6 months ago.
Dont waste your money on "Honda" oil filters. You can get a Fram filter for 3 bucks at your local autosupplier. Get the one for the XR600. It is the same filter used on many Honda dirt and street bikes.

PaulKDX250SR said:
Thanks Oldturtle. I do like those big tanks clear tanks.
Will follow the advice closely on the Pig Pen site first off.

Seems to be a lot of debate about what kind of oil to use in the bikes.

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Good advice on the oil filter.
The factory oil has been replaced. Will run the bike for about 50k tomorrow and replace oil again. Then another 100k and replace again.

Will follow the greese recommendations on the Pig Pen as well tomorrow.

The only other time I have bought a new bike was back in 1980 something, a MTX125.

Top Bottom