2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Yet Another Rites of Spring Thread...

Taking a break from rolling up route sheets while the printers spit out more for the weekends event. Man, over a mile and a quarter of paper is being printed for the Dual Sport routes right now. You'd think the printers would be smoking by now...

The pre-ride weekend, or marking weekend, went pretty good. The off-road arrow crews said the trail was in pretty good shape excepting for quite a number of downed trees. I saw a couple crews heading out with chainsaws so I think that's taken care of.
Even the meeting with the USFS/DNR/State Police/County Sheriff/Road Commission went pretty well. How often do you get to be in a room with that many law enforcement types and NOT be thinking how much the fine is going to cost you? Yeah, me either ;-)

I was able to put in the changes to the Dual Sport courses without much fanfare. Had a few guys tag along for the ride, which was nice, on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was just me and the rain. Remember that wet leaves and slimy clay on an off-camber turn equates to major fun if you like the rear fender passing the front.

Managed to cover 350 miles over the three days. Two days were spent on my 520, finally, which finally gave me a chance to put real miles on it's saddle. Close to being too much fun. Getting 35mpg and that's with pretty low gearing; should give me better than 100 mile range on the Clarke tank I put on it. Not as far as my XR with the 4 gallon tank, but I think I'll survive.

Anyway, back to the event stuff... Campground was pretty well prepped, they were still hauling port-a-johns out and shuffling gravel here & there but the grounds crew said they were ready. Also said we're a good bunch and they don't have any real trouble with the crowd (surprising, sort of). The single track is marked and ready. The Dual Sport courses are proofed and updated. Couple of mudholes on the B Loop to get your feet wet on if you try (more than just your feet if you try hard).
If the number of calls I've received asking about the event are any indication of the turnout, we should have another record event. Guess the weather will be a big factor.

One last chuckle. Our permit is for 900 riders, if more than that sign up, technically we are not allowed to let them on the trail. Some of the ideas floated on how to do that were pretty funny. One of those take a number things by the trail, or a turnstyle where you enter the trail. Heh.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
2trakeR
Do you know if they have the kids loop arrowed yet? It was not ready last year until later on Saturday and we didn't find it for my daughter so we tried to take her on the big loop and it didn;t work out. I'd like to take her out early sat so I can get the big loop in in the late morning. THANKS!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Bill & Aaron plotted it out on Friday and Mark (RX property owner) is supposed to be arrowing it this week. It should be ready by Friday; I'll check with the gang when I get there Thursday and see if anything needs done. The kids course should be even better this year as I had to give up 8 miles of DS loop for it.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure on total length; I know they are planning for 12 miles. With last minute adjustments it might go another 3-4 miles (optional, I bet).

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Fred if you need any help finding the kids lop let me know. The kids loop hasn’t changed over the last two years.

Top Bottom