Yes Im sorry another needle question???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Depends on what you expect to be riding in.

As I said, heavy loads and sealevel may well require richer jetting than oem.

I've got quite a handful of jets and needles. I could consider them a 'waste' as I generally only use a few of 'em.

But the process to get where I am (that I'm happy with) and the knowledge gained along the way was well worth it.

Taking the way the bike ran a couple years ago and comparing it to now, if someone said I could have that difference for $50, it would be a steal! That's nothing!

I've spent a $1000 on the suspension (not all in one place, not all at one time)!

What's $50?

Begin with what you already stated. Sounds like a good place to start to me.

If you're on your way to some sand tomorrow, get something over oem.

A slide will likely cost you that much ($50). Ron (RB Designs) will machine a slide for something like $15. He sells 'em for around $45. I have NO idea how that works with being in NZ. Likely doesn't. Gives you an idea, though.

Considering the cost of a new #7 slide, send your carb to him and have him modify it.

Money well spent.

As noted, you can use a 'C' series needle with the oem slide, whatever cut you have.

sez me. works for me. imo. etc etc

Last edited:

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
KAY DEE EXER, you asked "ANDREW may I ask why it is you are going for the CEK as opposed to the CEL. "

If you read back over my post you will note I AM getting a CEL!

Like you, I am no expert but I like to learn. I believe the CEL will work best with my #5 slide/155/45 jetting / Rev pipe/RAD valve ('96 model). If anyone reckons anything different, get back to me quick!!

I wouldn't mind trying a CEK as well, but I'm not going to just yet.

Cheers,
Andrew

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Andrew, you may already be aware, but you're going to need a pilot assortment smaller than the 45 to make the CEL work.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by andrew
[I was going to try a CEK as well, but not at $20 ea (plus postage).
ANDREW
Thats the reason why I thought you wanted a CEK. LOL. OK well thank you very much CANYN again for your info, I guess your dead right about the satisfaction of learning along the way it just seems alot to try and compute in MY pea-brain. The power increase certainly has me interested but I still need to find somewhere here in Australia that is appropriate for WOT plug checks. Ive read on the other forums that doing anything but a WOT check is a waste of time. According to the justjdx website it says to mark the throttle in increments to test the other circuits. So Im thinking that you have to somehow tune those other circiuts so what is it you have to do??? If CD Daves site is right does it give you enough of an idea to be able to rejet accordingly.. Thank you ALL !!!!!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
kay
your not the only one thats confused. i read the same thing about marking the throttle and the one about the wot plug chop is the only meaningful check.ive read em all a couple times and im gonna have to read them again a few times to see how a richer needle makes so much more power than a leaner one.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
The terms RICHER & LEANER refer to the amount of GASOLINE being delivered to the engine and not the amount of oil. COPIED from www.justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
It kinda fun to revisit this place now and again to see how things are going.

As CC noted I found the cek-3 with a 6 slide worked in my 99. not as well as the cel-#5 or the cej-#7 While experimenting on a friends 91 we found the cgk, cgl needle to help as the jet holder was lower than the later bikes. The earlier bike also preffered a richer pilot and main than later bikes. I believe others found this as well. A 48 or 50 pilot and a 160 or larger main as I recall but temps were a bit colder 30-45 and we are near sea level. Its not as easy to swap needles as it was on the newer bike but its worth the time to set up a 5 mile test loop and try a series of different needles under the same conditions. I would try a bel, bgl, bgk, cej, cek, cel, cgj, cgk, cgl which are about 5-6.00 each plus shipping. I would like to have a 42.45,48,50 pilot and mains from 150 to 162.

Try to find a needle that gives you good throttle response with out rich sputter or lean bog and then balance your pilot and main selection to the needle. The reason is that you spend more time riding on the needle than any other circuit in the carb. Rideability is the goal. The b tapers will give you a smoother power delivery and the c or d tapers will give better throttle response. Don't be suprised if you find more than one combo that works for you.

Above all keep good notes of altitude temp and weather conditions and dont monkey with fuel or oil selection during the process. Jetting is well worth the time and energy expended as it will pay dividends on every ride for the rest of your life. The jdjettig guide is well worth the 30.00 and will save a lot of time.

Have fun.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: marking the throttle and WOT plug chops.

With your throttle marked in quarters, you can readily see where in the throttle range a particular thing is happening. Otherwise it's pretty hard to tell.

With that info, you can change needle configuration as required. For months I rode with throttle markings (masking tape and felt tip pen marks on my twist grip) and referenced them regularly. It's a good learning tool. I got asked quite a few times, 'What's that for?', with a sidewise grin like I was the idiot.

Well...not to say I'm NOT...but not for that reason!

A plug chop is the only way you're going to check you main..which is the first jet you should get sorted out.

re: If CD Daves site is right does it give you enough of an idea to be able to rejet accordingly?

There is such a huge difference in riders and bikes (just considering mechanical condition), any listing of 'Use these jets..' is only going to be a ballpark suggestion. Improvements can likely be made with fine tuning.

It's not that tough, folks! And the benefits to be had are huge.

Top Bottom