CRaiger250

Dec 14, 2002
Hi all!!

I know you've probably heard this one alot..and i've done a search..didnt find what i needed, so here we go. I'm about 6'1 190lbs, limited riding experience...ridden bikes a few times 2 & 4 stroke, lots of quad's (banshee, raptor, 400EX etc) i've been wanting a bike for a while..and now i've got enough saved to get one. I'll be riding a little woods..but mostly riding tracks and moto. ..For my size/weight/experience what do you guys think would be better for me? And what mods, if any, would you recommend? Thanks for all your imput!!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
250f would be a good starter bike but I think you would be better on a 250. 250 generates quite a bit more power so its there if you need it and you won't have to rev it out so much which is not a beginner friendly way to ride. Of course the 4stroke may be a good beginner bike cause its tamer than a 250 but what happens when you want more power?

dunebiker

Oct 21, 2002
It sounds like you are in the same situation I was last summer. I hadn’t ridden bikes since the mid 80s but started riding quads a couple of years ago. I got the bike bug; wanted to go faster, jump further and be able to ride more places. I stumbled into a 2001 RM250. It was in perfect condition and it hadn’t been ridden much. It had the aftermarket parts that I would have put on anyway, and the price was right so I bought it. Now when I get back on my 400EX, it feels like I am dragging an anchor, it’s slow and it beats me up compared to the bike. As for what type of bike to get; if you have the money, the four-stroke bikes look great. Some of my buddies bought CRF450s this winter so I am excited to try them this summer. Will you be satisfied with the power of a YZ250F? A two-stroke 250 will have more power. I know the first time I got on my bike I thought I would never use all that power but I am slowly learning to use it. You may consider the YZ450F, I understand they have more power than the YZ250. The cost-effective solution is a two-stroke. The local shop has new 02 RM & KX 250s for $4500, they had a CR for a couple hundred more and the YZs are going for full retail. I am really impressed with the power of the new two-strokes, lots of it and it’s smooth and controllable. I may try a CRF450 for 2004 although they do cost more.

CRaiger250

Dec 14, 2002
I appreciate the feedback guys! I see both your points. I just didnt know whether it would be better for me to begin on the 4 stroke and learning good riding technique as i go or just get a 2 stroke and get used to the power and riding style/technique of a 2 stroke 250 since i'd probably be looking for more power after i got back into the "groove" of riding. I dunno...Its something i'll have to think about before i make an opinion. Hopefully with the quality information from this site..i'll be able to make the right decision..N E ways, keep the info coming! Thanks guys!

Top Bottom