FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
Which one would be a good bike for me. I am tryin to figure out wich one would be best for me. I am 5ft 3in, weigh 105, and am an 85 B rider. I currently ride a ttr 125. All help is greatly appreciated.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
RM IMO but all are capable winners in the correct hands.

If you have some friends with them, Ask to go for as test spin.

A friend of my son rode the TTR last season doing very well on it this year he went to a RM and is in the top 3 every weekend at local races. The RM still has a tad of lowend power that you may like from the TTR.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Agreed... RM would be a good choice. Coming off the TTR... the RM power will be smoother and an easier transition than the YZ or CR. Plus you're pretty tall, and the RM is one of the taller/bigger chassis out of the 80's. But, like Mike said, if you can find some kids at a local track and get in a few test laps... that's the best way to decide!

RanMan

May 22, 2002
My son (13) is 94 lbs. and has been on his YZ85 for about 8 months now.
He came off an XR100. I was worried about the transition, but he took to it like it was just natural to him. We don't ride the track. We ride and race harescramble and enduro type terrain and he can go anywhere on that YZ I can go on my 200 EXC and sometimes do it better. I can't speak for the other brands for I have not ridden them, but I can say that the YZ does not have much bottom at all, but will rip like wildfire on top. Even though it doesn't have any bottom, he has put it through the nastiest, knarliest, muddiest, and slickest terrain with good results. I have been very pleased with the toughness of this bike too. It has been to (you know where) and back. It has survived trees, rocks, and four wheelers running over it. Only thing, so far, I've had to do is normal maintenance like tires, tranny oil, and brakes. There probably isn't a dimes difference amongst the three main ones.
I didn't like the cheaper looks of the KX though. The YZ has fully adjustable suspension and easy to work on when necessary.

ronwest99

Feb 20, 2002
if you go with the CR85, there are ways to make it more "usable".

I added the FMF fatty and a shorty silencer (combined with my own port job) to not only add a couple hp, but also make the bike much more tractable.

With the stock pipe the bike had 0 bottom end, the fatty really helped with that. The new port job made things even better.

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
thanx a lot for all the info, i have narrowed it down to the yz or the rm. I still need to decide between one of these, so keep the info rolling. Thats two points for RM and one for YZ. Thanx and thanx in advance for further information.

Top Bottom