susie q

Jul 28, 2003
Hi Girls,
Thanks for the advice a while back. I have given up on the idea of getting a 4-stroke bike as my first bike. My friends tell me that a 2-stroke is actually easier in the mountains because it won't getted as bogged down on the climbs. There are a couple of bikes available locally, a 2000 yz125 that is in good shape and a cr125. I know less about the Honda's condition. I am 5' 9", 150 lbs. and don't really have any riding experience. Anyone got any advice on these two bikes? I am itching to get out there before the summer is over!!

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Well first of all, you CAN bog a two-stroke up hill...It all depends on you!
A lot of new riders like the 4's because they don't have to pay such close attention to the revs or shifting.
If they're used bikes, take a little ride on each of them and buy what feels best. Have fun!!!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I'm not sure what you mean by "bog down" on the 4 stroke. 4 strokes are more forgiving to ride so they are usually easier to learn to ride on. They do weigh more but they will lug easier on hills where you would need to keep a 2 stroke revved out (you can lug it but you gotta use the clutch more). You can do a lot of mods to make 2 strokes more friendly but all depends on what you want to spend.

4 Strokes are harder to start when they heat up - usually when you are putting around learning but there's techniques to get around that. 2 Strokes will foul plugs easier if you lug them around too much - still not a big deal as long as you pack some spare plugs & don't mind spooge from the pipe (never has bothered me).

As far as the 2 stroke being easier to ride in the mountains, that depends on the type of trails plus how the 125 is set up. I know a couple kids that are pretty talented riders and they have trouble getting their 125's (mainly stock) up some of our more technical and steeper hills but they can smoke me in the tight twisties.

Like FE_P said, definitely try a few out if at all possible. If you come across a screaming deal and you really want a 125 go for it - it most certainly can be done (learning how to ride on one) but myself, I wouldn't have wanted to start out on a 125. I got frustrated enough learning how to ride on my KLX300 (which I sold BTW Fe-P). :yeehaw:

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Hey Suzie q, everyone has an opinion but it's best to get it from someone who is really listening to you! It'll be your bike so get exactly what you want. What type of riding will you be doing. Remember if you've never ridden, it'll be a while until handling the twisties is an issue :silly:

Are you sure there aren't any hidden bikes in your garage??
Ditto Bbbomon learning on 4-stroke. I rode a CR125 and it's super light and easy to handle but I don't like having to ring its neck. I can't imagine trying to learn how to ride on one. It would take too long to overcome the frustration of trying to figure out the throttle.
How's it going up there?
I've gone riding a couple of times this month and although it was dusty I still had so much fun. It was just a small park south of San Jose.
Can't wait for the first real rain.

Last edited:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I had the opportunity to ride a CR125 last night. This was the first real time I rode something other than my TTR 125 or a my sons KX85, which I didn't get much time on. I was really surprised at how well I actually felt on the CR. I was always worried about height and weight but it really felt good!

I have been riding my TTR for over a year and am ready to move up. I can get a 2002 RM125, 1999 YZ125 or a 2001 KX125.

My husband is concerned about the powerband and says he thinks CR's have more bottom end power than any of the others. I think that is what he thinks I should get, but there aren't any used ones around right now and I don't want to fork over that much for a new one.

I am considering getting a flywheel weight to help with the touchiness of the throttle and to help me from stalling it in the turns.

With that mod, does it really matter too much where the powerband kicks in?

Any input, good or bad on the above bikes is appreciated. I am going to a Women's school of motocross in about 6 weeks and I really want to take a REAL MX bike, not my TTR... :confused:

Last edited:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Hey Fe_P, things are good up here. We haven't ridden since Michelle visited due to lack of rain and a preoccupation with the streetbikes & jetskis.

We did do a very dusty 20 or so miles Saturday with some buds of Karl's that came over from Seattle. I managed to lose my bike on a gnarly hill, slamming the left side into a rock and breaking the barkbuster & clutch perch. Had enough perch left to tiewire it back together. I was unscathed at least.

Sunday, thanks to CJ Rider's rain dance we enjoyed a great ride on Mica in the rain, until I crashed on a downhill rut & slammed my shoulder into the ground. I'm not sure who got the worst of that one, me or my bike. It pulled one of the handlebar studs out a bit but at least nothing broke. I can finally raise my arm over my head today so we'll probably try to get a ride in from home Sunday.

I read that you were going to enter the HS- good luck and have a great time!

What's the deal on the CRF250? You thinking of switching?

srellis, the track is an ideal place for a 125 MXer! I wouldn't think twice about taking a 125 on the track but out on the trails, it's a whole nother ballgame. As far as bottom end, I thought the CR125 had about the least bottom end at least from the 2002 model on. Hmm, I'll have to ask my son, he reads EVERYTHING about bikes.

As far as the flywheel weight, the way I understand it, it smooths out the powerband and gives you more useable power at the low to mid end range, usually desireable for trail riding but not so much (as I understand) for MX where you use more top end power. You can see what Steahly has to say about their's here:
http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/about_steahlyweights.shtml

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by bbbom
Hey Fe_P, things are good up here. We haven't ridden since Michelle visited due to lack of rain and a preoccupation with the streetbikes & jetskis.

What's the deal on the CRF250? You thinking of switching?
QUOTE]

Streetbikes & Jetskis, is that how you rough up there in Mica??
How'd you fall on the down hill? How were you riding, just so I make sure and not to do it :scream: How'd you get the front end stuck. Glad to hear that you're alright. Sounds painful :ugg:

My friend Windy, "Windella", is a new rider and is looking at one. :worship: I love my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
She's oinly ridden about 6 times but is going to be a good rider. She's really smooth and trucks right along. She's been looking at an '02 new for about $3300, besides I wouldn't mind trying it out.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Yep, it's pretty rough up here but we just alter the toys to deal with the weather conditions. :)

Lets see how did I fall, well it really wasn't much of a downhill and it was actually on a logging road and the front end only got stuck because we fell over. :scream: It has some slash & ruts (not very big though) littering it but it was simple operator error. I was in 3rd gear & could hear my son coming up behind me so I twisted the throttle just a little harder, saw the rut & SLAM!!!! down I went. My sweet little boy threw his bike down & ran to pick mine up as I stood there saying "dang that hurt!". Karl was on down the trail and wondering how in the heck I could manage to crash there! I knew nothing was broken though because I could move it all around so we headed on to the house. It started to really hurt once we got home & I looked at my poor beat up bike. Karl felt sorry for me I guess because he ordered me some nice carbon fiber handguards, gave me a spare Raptor clutch (found that the lever had gotten squished on Saturday's crash) and a new kill switch (I've been needing one but wasn't too worried about it).

So, there was no lesson to this crash, except, never try to outrun an 80 on a 500 unless you can keep the shiny side up! :thumb:

Congrats on getting a new riding buddy. :yeehaw:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I really, really, really like 125s. I have ridden a 00 YZ, 00 and 01 RM, and 99 CR. I loved them all. I like them on tracks, and trails, and open stuff, and grass track . . . just not on steep hills with lots of obstacles. I'm not a good enough rider to keep the Rs up and dodge rocks and tight switchbacks all at the same time. I like my KTM, it has enough bottom end that I can lug it down.

Have you considered a KTM 200 or a KDX 200 or 220? They are a nice compromise between a 2 and 4 stroke. Or the newer YZ250Fs are great bikes too, lighter and they got over that starting problem. I rode an 03 and I started it first kick.

Top Bottom