Tyler93

Dec 1, 2008
YZ125-Why did this happen?(ANY HELP)

I went out riding my 1987 yz125 a week or so ago. Ran great never had a problem with it ever. After riding pretty hard for about and hour hard here and there taking breaks here and there. I was hitting a jump in the same gear going around up a berm then down to the jump in 3rd gear sometimes down to second then back up i was doing this for a while. So after i rode over to my friends to take a brake the bike was hot now and i stalled it didnt mean to. After sitting about 5 minutes went to go continue jumping and after the first jump i was stuck in 2nd gear and could only shift down not up.

So rode it to the truck did a burnout thought it was the end.Got it home and i had my gears back?What could be the problem. :coocoo:

Last edited:

Tyler93

Dec 1, 2008
The clutch is pretty hard and when you let go of it,it goes back pretty slow.But it doesnt seem like it slips it works perfect.

Tyler93

Dec 1, 2008
Found very small and i mean very! small specks or silver metal you had to look at it so close to see it verrryyy small. Oil wasnt that dirty either i changed it maybe the 3 rides before.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The metallic particles are clutch debris. That's normal. You should check/replace the clutch cable or whatever is binding. It's possible that it's slipping enough to cause the excessive heat.

Tyler93

Dec 1, 2008
_JOE_ said:
The metallic particles are clutch debris. That's normal. You should check/replace the clutch cable or whatever is binding. It's possible that it's slipping enough to cause the excessive heat.

Damn.I mean it was like i could hit that shifter with a 5 pound sludge all day but nothing would happen it feels like something bent in there but why would it come back to life after it cooled?.

The clutch seems fine though ill try anything though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You may have something going on with the shifter, shift drum, boss. Take the clutch off and check it. You may be able to check it without taking the clutch off, but. The clutch cover is what holds the shift shaft in place. You take the cover off and the shaft will slide, it will slide out of sequence with the drum and boss. Things get worn, or a crash can tweak the cover, and what you described will happen. Push the shifter side in and see if it dis-engages from the boss. And get a new clutch cable, when you let go of the lever, it should snap back.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
Atatch a return spring to the clutch arm that is on your motor, if it is outside the cover, to the frame, so that when you let go of your clutch lever at the bars, it will keep your clutch plates pulled tight together down by the motor.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
destructo said:
Atatch a return spring to the clutch arm that is on your motor, if it is outside the cover, to the frame, so that when you let go of your clutch lever at the bars, it will keep your clutch plates pulled tight together down by the motor.
Isn't that what the clutch springs are for???

Tyler93

Dec 1, 2008
I have a manual and in that manual it doesnt say anything about (wont shift) Only difficult shifting and overheating...?

Could using and oil that is too light cause me to not be able to shift from overheating i was using belray clutch saver.The bike gets very hot for some reason..havnt tinkered with it to much because its always ran good.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Isn't gear saver like 85 weight? Read post 8 again. If you do not know what you are looking at, look at an online parts microfiche for your bike. The parts are displayed in their installed sequence and position. Plus, you can order the parts you need? Or get a shop manual, or clymers will cover it.

Top Bottom