May 1, 2007
My 89 yz250 is acting up on me all of a sudden. I took it on a 600mile trip in snow and freezing rain in the back of my truck uncovered and it hasn't ran since. It has spark, air filter is dry, put heet in the fuel, cleaned carb out, and it still will not run. It will fire and run for a second or two and then die or backfire. I have been giving it full choke and laying it on its side to allow more fuel in because it is cold. In the past it started first kick with the same method everytime. I have tried several other things involving hours of push starting it with choke on and off and it always does the same thing. Starts then dies. Its running belray mixed at 40:1 with 93 octane. Anybody have any ideas? It is about to head to the shop because it is obviously beyond my know-how. :bang:

Now I would like to know some oppinions on whether or not I should drop money into this bike, or sell it a get a newer one.
It needs a complete transmission overhaul and is probably about due for an engine rebuild, clutch plates, chain and sprockets, and a back tire. This is going to cost me some cash to do but from what I have seen parts are easy enough to come by and it runs and rides great. Is there any serious advantage to getting a newer bike than fixing this one up? :think:

Thanks in advance guys any help would be awesome.

May 1, 2007
I also forgot to add that I only spent $425 on it if that effects your oppinion. I will probably get it running again and continue to ride it as is till it breaks and make the decision to fix or sell it this summer.

jcarautos1

Dec 3, 2007
Do you do the repairs yourself? If not than you would probably be better off selling it. If you can do top end rebuilds and clutches, ect yourself then it will be up to you if you wanna spend the time needed to fix it. ? what is your time worth? Dont get me wrong I love my 98 yz250 but if it needed all that work i'd have to debate it. And I can do all my own work. Good luck.

AV8R

Jan 20, 2006
Has the bike been in above freezing temps since its snow and freezing rain shower. If not, I would suspect that something has ice in it. I would put it in a heated area for a day or two and see if something thaws or dries out.
You say you cleaned out the carb but did that include the jets? Particuarly the idle jet? Also if water got in the tank then froze you will continue to have a problem until it thaws and comes out as water.

May 1, 2007
AV8R said:
Has the bike been in above freezing temps since its snow and freezing rain shower. If not, I would suspect that something has ice in it. I would put it in a heated area for a day or two and see if something thaws or dries out.
You say you cleaned out the carb but did that include the jets? Particuarly the idle jet? Also if water got in the tank then froze you will continue to have a problem until it thaws and comes out as water.

By cleaned I really meant flushed. I pulled the carb all but the throttle cable and filled it with carb cleaner a few times and dumped it then repeated. Then i flushed the carb cleaner out with about 10 fills of gas with heet in it. It has been in above freezing temps off and on. Maybe I will put a space heater right next to it for an hour or so to get it hot and then try it. I didnt take the carb down like I should have because some jackass stripped the two screws in the top of the carb and I didnt want to make them worse. If I can get them out I will replace them with allen head or hex head screws.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Disconnect the kill switch wire. Freezing moisture could have cause problems with the electrical connections. Disconnect and clean with contact cleaner all wires. Clean the ground wire and remove the flywheel cover and inspect the wiring to the stator.

youngr51

Jul 20, 2004
wd40 works wonders on situations like this. Disconnect and spray every thing visable. Oh and do a carb job at the same time. If that dont work thenbing back compresion results.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Remove the carb and take all the jets out and make sure theyre not blocked, but blow them out anyways. Is the spark yellow/white or a nice big blue spark? You're looking for blue. Also the topend could be worn down and be too low on compression to start and stay running. Another thing to check is the reeds. I have the same bike and if those reeds have any sort of gap that thing will take alot of kicks to start. Wasn't like my old rm which would start first or second kick with huge gaps in the reeds till I flipped them over. Then it was always first kick. Also under the tank on the leftside theres a bunch of wires that are all bunch up make sure they're all connected well and dry. It's a good wood's bike I like mine.

Top Bottom