Feb 24, 2004
Hello all--
I have riden streetbikes for 2 years now, currently with a 2000 Honda RC-51 with 4 trackdays under my belt. I get around pretty quick and feel rather confident with it's power.
I'm looking to get a dirt bike to expand my riding knowledge and translate it into better streetbike control. I'm 22, 5'9", 150 lbs. and have been looking at the YZ250f for trail riding with maybe occassional track days. Am I right in assuming that if used with caution at first that I'll be able to have a good handle on this bike after a few months of riding?
Thanks in advance,
Curtis :yeehaw:

TexasAtvs

Feb 15, 2004
I have a 2002 Honda F4i as well as a 2003 250f that I just bought. The 250f is a great bike with excellent power. You should be fine on the 250f having been riding a Rc-51 along with track days. I am still learning the bike and getting a feel for it but its got enough power to never make we want to get off the bike. I recommend getting it... You will enjoy it

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Curtis Matthews said:
anyone else have an opinion?

Hi Curtis,

In my oppinion any adult human that has ridden a bycycle and is tall enough, which you seem to be, will adapt quicky to the 250F. The only question that remains is will there be enough power after a few rides!

Depending on the terrain I would usually steer users toward a 450. To me this is about the perfect displacememnt for a modern four stroke.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2004
A 450? I don't know much about the power output of current dirtbikes, but from what I've read the 250f is a damn quick bike. I'd like to start on something that isn't going to boss me around before I can learn to ride well, and while the 250f might do that for a while, the 450 seems like it would be hard to tame. Anyone else agree? :think:

TexasAtvs

Feb 15, 2004
My 250f hauls some a$s, and I dont think you are going to really ever get tired with it. I dissagree with it running out of power after a few rides. The bike has some serious power. I am usually trying to keep the front end down.

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
Well their is certainly a difference betwen total power and power characteristics.

I am sure that the characteristics of the YZ250F are such that it has a nice punch. This is a necessary condition for motocross bikes because of the need to turn a corner and nail the throttle and clear a double. This can make the bike great for moto and make a 250 seem powerful in that the wheel has a tendency to come up etc...

But in overall enduro or trail riding circumstances what is called for is a wide powerband. This allows you to use the power of the machine to its fullest potential, without fighting wheelspin and keeping the front down. All this fighting adds to fatigue, slows you down, and makes difficult trail sections moreso.

I myself have not ridden all that the market has to offer. I am thinking that for general consumption the KTM 450EXC would probably fit this bill nicely. Or perhaps the "soon to be released" CRF450X, the WR or the new Husky TE.

As I stated above, this is to a cetain extent dependent on the terrain you will be riding in. Very tight single track leaves little opportunity to open up a 450. But then again, it is allways nice to lift that front wheel over obstacles and not be too concerned with RPM and gear selection. More open terrain, long hill climbs and the 450 shines...

So where will you be riding?

john1216

Apr 17, 2002
I might add Curtis, that a well tuned 450 or 250 for that matter will not "boss you around." This is more often the case when we try to take a motocross bike out into the woods!

I ride a 450 Husaberg and it is very manageable, with an insane amount of usable power on tap. My bike allows me to glide through tight singe track with smooth throttle response or cross open terrain at tremendous speeds and tackle very steep hill climbs with the choice of shifting up or just cruising.

450's more readily offer you that experience.

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
Curtis,

I am a novice rider 5'7: 155 and I've ridden my friends 03 YZ 250F and an 03 YZ 450F, now I am not a four stroke guy, but the 250F was much easier to ride in the woods and track, but the 450F was a monster. I don't think you'd enjoy all that power of the 450F if you're just starting out. Actually you WON'T enjoy all that power because it will be too intimidating. We ride in tight technical trails in W. PA. But on the track the 250F will have all you need and it's lighter and more enjoyable.

BPJNT :)

Feb 24, 2004
Most of my riding will probably be on more open trails, fire-roads, tree plantations, etc in the Mt. Shasta, McCloud area.
So it's to say that the 450 would have a less peaky powerband? But I must consider total power and the 450 probably has too much. Is the bike's weight similar from the 450 to 250 Yamaha or Honda?
Curtis

Slack_505

Jan 28, 2001
you said you weighed 150 right?? It seems knowing your weight that a 450 would be a bit big.. just my opinion. especially for a new rider..
Slack

Top Bottom