TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Hello.
I am thinking about getting a YZ426 or perhaps a KTM MX400 for my wife, Errin. Her last bike was an xr200r. Shes pretty tough (shes a redhead) and is 5'7".
Is this a suicide mission? My plans are to get the YZ so when I want some tight woods stuff, I can use her bike.
Shes been riding two years longer than me. She got her XR for graduation in 94.
What does everyone think about this?
Thanks for your opinions and suggestions
Travis and Errin R.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Travis, have you asked your WIFE about this yet, or is it purely based on something YOU want to buy? Has she ridden anything bigger than her XR200, and if so how did she do?

Just because she's "pretty tough" on an XR200 doesn't mean she's going to start ripping it up on a YZ426. I would HIGHLY recommend getting her to test ride one of these bikes before you make any decisions. I don't know where you live, but around here tight woods bikes are KDX's and KTM 2-strokes. Maybe a good compromise, if you want to go 4-stroke, would be a KLX300.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I second what Lori said. She definitely needs to ride one on the terrain that she plans to ride on before deciding.

It isn't really about being tough, I know some pretty tough 125 riders. IMO it has more to do with strength when you step it up to the bigger bikes. Is she strong enough to control the bike and to pick it back up when she needs to?

I tried out many many bikes before settling on the CR500 and I love it but, I also train very hard to stay strong enough to control the bike and to be able to pick it up when I don't control it so well. I mountain bike everyday from spring to winter with some weight lifting and get into pretty heavy weights and cardio during the winter. Jetski's and sleds when the bikes are out help too.

I know I had trouble controlling my CR when I wasn't working out hard enough but I have always loved working out and the bike gives me more motivation to work harder.

I've ridden a couple 426's and they are much milder than my CR (and heavier). They were similar to my KLX300 with more power. I'm the last person to poopoo a big bike for a woman but it takes some work to handle it.

Have to admit, it is fun to see the looks on peoples faces when they look at the bike and then at me and ask if it's a 250 and I tell them no it's a 500. If I didn't feel comfortable on the bike though, it would be a different story.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I agree with what LoriKTM & bbbom said...you need to ask her what she wants. I consider myself a pretty tough gal, but I prefer small bore bikes...to me they are more fun to ride in the type of terrain I ride in which is tight & technical.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Ha! You remind me of my dad. He bought my mom a YZ 490 back in the late 70's so he would have a spare bike. Yea like a YZ490 was idea for a lady. Then he got her a trials bike so he would have a bike to play on in the back yard. Ever tried riding 100 miles on a trials bike without a seat? I have been riding for 25 years and I can barely start the 426. I hated that bike BIG time. I had to have someone start it for me and that sucked.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Yeah, you're nuts

My wife is a 5'11" German red head and there is no way she could ride my WR400 on a 40 mile loop. She rides a '92 XR250R and loves it - so do I for that matter. She does have trouble picking up the XR after a fall - most of the 4 strokes are just too heavy for her. I think she can pick up my KX500 - it's probably 30 lbs lighter. The other problem your wife will have with the YZ/WR is the kickstarter. It's way up there for somebody only 5'7". Not saying it can't be done - I've seen 5'7" 400/426 riders but it's not a pretty picture some times.

The KTM may be a viable option - lighter weight and e-start. The KLX would also be a great bike - less expensive too.

Brian

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
If you are interested in a nice affordable totally woods out KLX, I have one here in Spokane. It hasn't been ridden since I got my CR a year & a half ago.

Pics are here:

KLX For Sale

Email or PM me if you are interested in taking a look at it or having her try it out. It has the Mikuni Carb and Stroker header pipe, Oneal Prolock bars, aluminum disc guards front & back, barkbusters, skidplate, "Girl's Kick Ass" sticker, owner's manual, all the stock parts too. Very clean bike - it's a 98 and on it's second set of tires which are close to new. I got used to the CR and the KLX seemed like not enough of a challenge for me!

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Heck, girls! If she can start it by herself and keep it on two wheels, the bike is only going to go as fast as her right hand lets it!

bbbom, I'm surprised at you, since you hammer around on that CR500!

Trav, the KTM may be better, since it's lighter and (allegedly) easier to start.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Like I said XRP, I'm the last one to poopoo the big bike for a woman theory but, she needs to ride one first and decide if it will work for her without the influence of how good of a second bike it will make for Trav.

There was a guy on XDB that got his fiance an XR600 like his because she had ridden his and liked it AND because she wanted to be a stud like me! :) Haven't heard how it's going yet though. :think

If I had listened to everyone else (except my darling), I wouldn't have even considered the CR. You can't let other people tell you what bike to ride until you try it out for yourself on the terrain you will be riding on. Most any bike is great for a quick spin on something easy. The real decision needs to be made when you get it out where you will want to be most of the time.

I didn't go buy the CR until I had taken Karl's on a real trail ride and I was very impressed with it and found out that it was NOT the big scary beast everyone told me it was.

You are quite right that the right hand will determine how fast the bike goes but, if you don't twist the right hand hard enough in some of the areas I ride you will work yourself to death picking the bike up because when you lose momentum you either tip over or slide back down until you tip over.

BTW I have never thought of myself as tough, I am a petite and dainty flower, a little mean and ornery maybe and definitely athletic but not tough (unless you make me mad) ;) !!! :) ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by bbbom
BTW I have never thought of myself as tough, I am a petite and dainty flower, a little mean and ornery maybe and definitely athletic but not tough (unless you make me mad) ;) !!! :) ;)

Does this mean I can call myself meek, compliant and submissive? :confused:

TravisCR500R

Mar 21, 2001
Hehe...my son weighs more than any dirt bike!! And hes only two! Okay, but he is pretty heavy. Perhaps I need to take another angle on this one.
I do, however, agree that you will only go as fast as your right hand will let you. You can get a speeding ticket in a Geo for Chrissake@! Right? Its not the power that gets you in trouble, its your own self. Or lack of knowledge. Im not sure...I've been in trouble since I was born. And most of the time, I have no knowledge whatsoever.
With bikes, its easy to forget you are married! I get pretty wrapped up in stuff...who knows, she might want.....GULP......a ****! Oh no! In my book, ****=divorce!! Actually she has said she would never ride a ****. I knew she had at least one good quality!
I will definitely go back to the drawer-ing board (as the brittish folk would say) and re-think this, but its pretty tough to "Re-think" when you didn't "think" in the first place!!!!
Thanks for the tips, friends!
Travis Rydberg

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Take 5 and get some sleep GSR you're confusing Kennewick with Pasco.
Or did some kid get your logon?

Now I've really done it!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Richland.......Pasco.........Kennewick.......what's the diff..........The Tri-Cities is a @#!@$hole! Of course that's just my humble opionion! :p
You're right though, Pasco is the worst of the 3 evils. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
Richland.......Pasco.........Kennewick.......what's the diff..........The Tri-Cities is a @#!@$hole! Of course that's just my humble opionion!
NOW we're getting to the root of the problem! Anyone who grew up in the Tri-Cities is bound to have some issues!

At least it wasn't the Idaho Tri-Cities: Fernwood/Santa/Emida!

(ask Firecracker, she should understand!):confused:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
?????

And to mimic the tone you used on the 14 year old kid who posted in the wrong forum.

[/B]This applies __________

No reason to be insulting here or am I missing somthing?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but..........This is the Women's forum..........and I'm a Woman!! ;) We all know that Women tend to go off on tangents...........so there, justification enough? :confused:

And stop following me around! We got stalking laws here yanno. :p

And furthermore.......since I'm on a roll and all ........"insulting"? who's insulting? Did I hurt the city of Kennewick's feelings??? People bash California all the time, I could care less, It's no reflection on me and I don't care what other people say about it. pfft. :D

Last edited:

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
If the bike is really for your wife, consider this. I have a friend here were I live and she has been riding for about a year and a half, and races MX in a motorcycle club. Just until about 2 months ago she also had a xr200. She now has a 02' YZ125 and does great and is still getting used to the bike.

I guess what Im getting at is that its better to do moderate changes, like she did with the xr to the yz, a YZ250 would have been insane. The 426 probably has more torque than the YZ250. Good luck starting that 426.

I think a YZ250"F" would be a very wise choice.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by The Rock
I have a friend here were I live and she has been riding for about a year and a half, and races MX in a motorcycle club. Just until about 2 months ago she also had a xr200. She now has a 02' YZ125 and does great and is still getting used to the bike.
Hmmmm, now who could that be............ ?? ;)

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Zees large target iz so ee-zzz!
Sorry to hear you spent your childhood in the Tri-Cities. :silly: That explains everything.
Now, go eat your young!:eek:

Mr Bandicoot

Aug 31, 2001
The Rock is spot on with the YZ250f, this bike absolutely rips everywhere and is super easy to ride. Probably weighs less or equal to an xr200 but has gobbs of power.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom