Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yam 3. It has been a while since I have done a z50 and I am doing this out of memory, so, good luck to both of us.:scream:

First, rotate your engine until the piston is at top dead center. There should be a line on your mag flywheel and one on the case that will line up.

Look at the cam wheel. On one side of it there should be either one or two lines. Install the cam into the head with BOTH CAM LOBES POINTING STRAIGHT DOWN.

Slip the cam chain over the sprocket and line up the bolt holes in the sprocket with the one's on the cam. If there is only one line on the cam sprocket, it should face straight up or straight down. It does nnt matter as long as the cam lobes are pointing straight down. If there are two lines on the cam sprocket, then align these lines parallel with the top gasket surface on the head, rocker cover surface. If the lines don't line up, move the cam chain over the sprocket one tooth at a time until they do line up.

The important part is, both lobes must point straight down and the engine must be at T.D.C. If this is correct, the lines will line up. Also, recommend using a little loc-tite on the cam bolts.

Good luck.

Ol'89r

wanrep

Sponsoring Member
Aug 21, 2001
With the piston at top dead center (T mark on flywheel at notch on eng. case), align the mark on the cam sprocket with the notch on the head. The notch is at the top of the head (left side as you're looking at it because the cylinder lays almost horizontal).
If you take a straight edge and align the center of the crank to the center of the cam, the mark on the sprocket will be on that line.
The cam will only bolt to the sprocket one way so if you've got the sprocket
lined up, you're fine.
Use Loktite on the sprocket bolts and torque to 12 ft. lbs.

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I have a left over O ring ~6-8mm od. The parts fish shows an o-ring and seal on the intake and exhaust. When I took it apart I found only valve seals on the exhaust side :think.........any ideas on where this little o-ring goes. I see the difference between the valve seal inside the guide (got it on ex side). Ther was also only one valve stem seal in the pack? No seals on intake side possibly?
thanks

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
Extra part

Did your parts come in a kit?

When I did my rebuild, Honda was nice enough to supply me with a few extra crush washers and an extra o-ring...

wanrep

Sponsoring Member
Aug 21, 2001
There's an o-ring that goes on one of the cyl. studs in between the cyl. and head. The head gasket has one stud hole slightly larger than the other 3.
That's where it goes. There is also one that goes between the cyl. and engine on the same stud. That stud also gets the copper washer under the cyl. head nut.
Only the exhaust valve has a seal on the valve guide.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Only the exhaust valve has a seal on the valve guide.

Because of the lay-down engine design, that's the one that sits in oil. The intake valve doesn't need one - no oil bath.

Just thought you guys might be wondering why :)

Top Bottom