00-01 KX250 Shifting problems (hitting neutral)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
My '01 KX250 arrived and I love it, except for hitting neutral 1 out of 3-4 shifts. This stinks! I searched the forums for cures and found some discussion, but nothing very definitive. Heck, I posted a fix that worked on a '99 KX250, but it won't correct it on my '01. (Using a KX125 shifter and dropping it one spline).

In other discussions there was talk of polishing the shifting mechanism. This problem certainly feels internal and I need as much info as possible on exactly what to polish. There was also talk of using '99 parts, but it was not clear which parts.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott

:(

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
While polishing helps reduce effort to shift, i dont think it will stop missed shifts-may even make it worse.You tend to not make positive shifts with a tranny thats real slick.

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
I had a 2000 and I put in a 1999 shift star and shift shaft and that helped a lot. I did polish the shift star also. You have to pull the clutch side case to get to the shift star and it's best to have air tools to remove the clutch hub and remove the shift star bolt. All that you do is get some fine grit sand paper and go over the shift star and the shift fingers on the shift shaft as to remove any burrs or sharp edges. It's easy and it works! Eric Gorr's book has pictures of this procedure. Good Luck!

dix

Nov 24, 2001
I ran into the same trouble with my 01. After a few weeks of riding, I just got used to feeling for it, and haven't had any problems thus far. I think that once you get used to the bike, and have it in the back of you mind, you may not miss 2nd nearly as often. Just make sure to concentrate on lifting you foot all the way. You may try rotating the shifter one notch on the shaft.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
When i shift, i lift my whole foot off the peg.. Seems to work for me.. Actually i have a hard time finding neutral on my 01.. Let me know if the polishing helps out & if its worth it..
Good Luck
Rick:cool:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks guys....keep 'em comin

Yesterday I tried changing shifting habits with very little success (the whole foot method, etc.). I dropped the shifter one spline, then two and finally three (that’s scary low); it also helped very little. I must say that I rarely missed a shift on my '99 CR250, so I feel that I'm a fairly positive shifter. I didn't make that statement to start another discussion on the color of our bikes.

CR-MAN,
Thanks for the tips; I'm going to try 'em. Do you know the difference between the '99 parts and the '00/'01 parts (shift star and shift shaft)? Did you try polishing your original parts first? I'm not opposed to getting the '99 parts, I just want to be reasonably sure that's what I need.

By the way, it seems Eric Gorr is the man! I see his name nearly everywhere with a solution to a problem. I'm ordering his book tonight.

Thanks Again,
Scott

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I did a mod to my 99 KX125 that made the shifts piositive and smooth.
I just polished all the contacting parts of the shift drum, folower wheel and shift selecter/fork and it was awesome!

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
bscottr - I would try your original parts first. Your 01 is different from my 00. I did try my original parts first and it helped, but not enough for me. Tom Morgan also has some tips on how to fix the shifting, but you'll need to open your wallet. For some reason the Kawy parts are pretty rough from the factory and this mod is easy and cheap. Worth a try.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
CR-Man Thanks!

I appreciate all the help from everyone, you’ve just got to love this place (dirtrider.net). I'm planning on polishing the '01 parts first. I may not get the time to complete the task until after Christmas, but I will post the results soon afterwards.

KawieKX125,
I do plan to take the polishing one step further as you described. Thanks!

CR-Man,
Who is Tom Morgan? I’m going to try a search after this post.

Thanks Guys,
Scott

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Tom Morgan is an Ex kawasaki mechanic. He built the motor on my 2001 and did the shifter. I will tell you without any doubt, that is the best shifting bike I have ever ridden!
It shifts under full power with no clutch. It is sweet. Oh yea, the previous owner spent like 400 to get this mod done, so break out the wallet.
www.tommorganracing.com

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Like Kawie KX125 I had Tom Morgan do my 99 YZ125 as it did not shift the way I liked and he worked Miracles. It shifts as good or better than any bike I have owned. He is a little ridiculous on his prices though.:(

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
A major delay

I meant to get back to you guys sooner, but I had a major problem. A hard landing broke the left sub-frame tab that the rear fender and airbox mounts to. I didn't realize it, but this caused the air box to slightly separate from the air boot. This is because it bent the circular / oblong flange around the air boot on the carb side of the air box. Not good!
Long story made short, the engine ingested enough dirt to seize. :ugg: I'm currently rebuilding the lower end and Eric G. is sending me a 265 kit. :) :) So as soon as I get it back together I'll post the results of polishing everything.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Glad you fixed the problem with the shift star,like i said i never had a problem on my 00 shifting from 2nd on up power on shift's are very consitent,but the 1st to second you really have to put effort not to hit neutral.I will tell my buddy about taking a little height off of the shift star point where it sit's in neutral... Thanks for the feed back.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
bigred,
I rode nearly 40 miles yesterday, most of it in a lot of tight stuff where I used 1st and 2nd often. The shifts were very much improved, nothing like prior to the modification. Before I needed to use the clutch and really needed to concentrate on making a very firm shift into 2nd. :mad: Not anymore, I can now shift without the clutch and it feels just like the shifting from 2nd on up, just as you described. Except now that's even better with the polishing.;)

If you make the mod, I recommend that you polish all the contacting points of the shift star and the contacting points of the shift shaft and shift pawl. The nice thing is you don’t need to split the cases to do it and you can do it in less than two hours. Of course if you polish the shift drum/forks, that’s a different story.

I believe you’ll really like the change if you do it. Keep me posted and drop me a line if I can help.

Scott

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I ordered a hinson clutch basket,so i am getting my buddy over here and show him the article.Basically the ramps for neutral the shift star need to be less steep.? Now the ramps are before and after the groove or both inside and outside of the groove.?

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
OK never mind, i looked at it again, take some of the ramp off before the groove,in the groove and the same to the other side right?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Bigred,
I don't know why I didn't take before and after pictures, but here's the borrowed YZ picture. (Hopefully this works) I've indicated where I made the mods. Also note that the KX star has a slightly steeper climb on the slope and is almost a 1/2 C shape. Hope it helps.

Scott

index.pl

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Thanks bscottr I saved the picture already and i will show my friend your article and az.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom