00 rm 250

aaasickboy

Nov 4, 2000
I,m having trouble with my rm. Ijust did a top end on it and noe its really hard to start if at all. I have good spark. The compression is about 180 after ten kicks and I do see fuel on the plug( which is new) after kicking it, I also went through the carb and found no problems. Anybody have any ideas?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
How are the reeds? I had trouble starting my 2-stroke and the reeds were broken.

You didn't by chance leave a rag in your air box did you? Seriously, that happens more times than people are willing to admit.

Ivan

aaasickboy

Nov 4, 2000
No rag and the reeds are good. I can prime the motor by shooting some gas in the spark plug hole and it fires right up, so it must be fuel related but I cant figure out what. If I dont prime it it wont even start.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I had the exact same problem with my RM. I'd say that after we change the compression and stuff with the new top end, the jetting might be not as good as it was before...

Try to kick a few times with the throttle wide open, and the choke on. It was my drill at that time. It's a pain in the a... though. I know...
The good news is that after 4 or 5 rides, it's starting well again.

Bad news is that I've also found out that the reeds weren't OK, so I changed them also, what definetely (??? sorry, I don't know how to write this word...) helped out a lot.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
How long has the fuel been sitting in the tank.Any more than 3 weeks?My buddys 99 kx 250 did the same thing.We went over the carb,cleaned all the jets and passages checked the float height,tried a new plug.Still wouldn't start.We put a fresh mixture in and it fired right up.Sometimes it is the most simplest things and usually you figure this out after you tore everything apart. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Whenever I start my RM, if it's for the first time since the last ride, I lean it over and empty out the bowl while it takes in new gas for the start. It kicks right over each time. One question, once you got it started, if you kill it, does it start right up again? If it does, it sounds like you have old gas in the bowl. Run between 32-40:1 as the mixture too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…