dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Hi I have a 00 yz 125 with 31hr on the wisco piston and ring..

I am wanting to re ring it all though it starts 1st kick and runs great

Can I use a factory yamaha ring on the wisco piston?
or do I have to use a wisco ring on the wisco piston?

The factory rings seem to be easier to get.

Thanks for your time...

also were can I buy rings?

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Good question.

In all cases, you will always have to use the same type of ring that your piston is. In your case, it's a Wiesco piston so you have to use a Wiesco ring. You can order a Wiseco ring from just about anywhere, including your local dealership.

Now if you are not too sure about how old your piston is, then it would be a good idea to buy a new piston and ring (as well as a wrist pin, and a wrist pin bearing). And at that point your local dealership can get it all.

Check the prices, it may not be as much as you think for everything. And don't forget to order gaskets too.

dkgoodrich

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I'll go with the wiesco ring.

I run a hr meter on this bike so the piston has exactly 32hr on it sence about $700 in engine work. I planned on re ringing it and running it for another 20-30hr then replacing the piston and rings. Is this ok? Can a re ringd wiesco piston last say 60hr with out doing cylinder damage?

Thanks for your time,
dk

Charlie Mix

Feb 7, 2007
You need to install necessarily Wiseco rings only, because cross section of them are completely different compared to OEM rings.

I suggest to take a measure of piston clearance also in order to verify that is not near its limit.
Forged pistons as Wiseco are, suffer of fragility, so run these piston with too high clearance can be dangerous.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
I spose you could wait that long but you should change the rings out more like every 15 hour or else it starts to rattle even though it might be the smallest smallest fraction of a mm it still isnt worth it in the end and 60 on a piston is a really really long time but ive seen people go way longer. the point of the book saying 20 hours (in mine for my 03 cr125 it says 7.5 hours even though thats hardly break in period) is so that it saves the more expensive parts. at 60 hours a piston has a way larger posibility than a 20 hour piston to do bad things like crack or shatter. When that happens usually it will take out your bottom end if not the whole engine. I personally would only go till about 40 hours on a piston and change the rings about 3 times in its life. its worth the money to get a new piston over getting a new crankcase.

Top Bottom