cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Im new to this forum but I need help. I am 15years old and got a 2001 cr125. I am buildin up my bike this winter and need more performance out of it. So far I am putting in a wiseco pro-lite top-end kit and a barnett clutch. Im already at $200. Being on a tight budget what do you think is the most important mod would be. I mostly ride trails and sometimes a track. I am looking at an used FMF fatty or gnarly. And or a boyeseen radvalve. If anyone is willing to sell any of these parts used please post back. Thanks for all your help.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
In my honest opinion you don't need to spend any money on performance goodies. Just set the bike up properly with good jetting, suspension settings, correct sag etc and you'll be ahead of most folks. Save your $$ to keep the bike wearing fresh tires, top ends and such. All the shiney bits in the world will not help if your knobs are rounded off.

If you still want to go faster, look into getting more experence (i.e. ride more, and more challenging stuff) and attend a riding school. Then starte competing in a local race series. If you like the trails try Harescrambles, if you like open stuff, jumps etc try MX.

In the end, you get a lot more bang for your buck working on your own skills and keeping the bike fresh than you get with bolt ons.

good luck and have fun

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Bikepilot I no exactly what you mean. I rode about 3 hours in an field by my house. Pretty boring but still better than watching tv. Do you no of any riding schools near Dayton, Ohio? Or any harescrambles? Or really anyhting related to dirt bikes i'll do. Thanks for your help. Still need that top end and clutch felt clutch fading alot today. Is there any head work I could do while its off. I'll probably clean the powervalve too. Has anyone been to big rock in kentucky? I suggest it

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you haven't already bought the Barnett clutch I'd stick to oem clutch parts. I tried a Barnett clutch kit as well as a DP clutch kit and will now only use OEM. Stock OEM plates and springs really are not that expensive.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
I bought a fmf rev-pipe new off **** for $117 so I thought i made out well on that deal. I am putting in the wiseco pro-lite piston this week. If the reeds are bad i will get some boyesen. I can not find a price on the OEM clutch though so i might go with the barnett.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Your money will be best spent keeping the air filter clean, top end fresh and taking some riding classes. Keeping spare parts such as clutches, brakes, levers, etc are also a good idea. Nothing will ruin your day like breaking a lever or frying a clutch and waiting for a new one.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Ok I am going to put the top end in soon. My question is how do i compress the ring to get it in the cylinder. And another question is, I do not own a torque wrench. Should i just do the job with a ratchet or save the money and buy a torque wrench(this means i wont have my bike done any time soon)

Dec 10, 2005
I am 13 years old and I used a cresent wrench to tighten the cylinder down to the cases,Squeeze the ring with your finger and put the cylinder on at the same time but do not twist it on there.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
If you can't find any riding classes in Dayton, go to the local MX tracks (even to watch). I'm sure someone there will be able to point you in the right direction.

$117 is good for the FMF. At such time as you decide you do want to do something else to the bike, a port and polish job and/or 144cc kit will probably be the best bang for the buck. But it gets to be a lot of bucks . . .

http://www.ericgorr.com for engine work

. . . and I agree with the other guys - practice and classes will do more for you than anything else. I took a class from a local A rider - 6 hours for $40. Best $$ I ever spent on the bike. Still learning from it 6 months later.

You will want to get a Honda service manual for your bike and you also might want to get the first two books on this page at some point:

http://www.ericgorr.com/books/books.html

The first one is Eric Gorr's Handbook which I have found endlessly useful thus far.

The second is a riding technique manual.

You can probably get used copies cheaper off Amazon . . .

Finally, you can get some pointers off the following site - Jeremy McGrath's trainer:

http://www.gsmxs.com/TechTips.htm

You can sign up for a four day email training course at this site:

http://www.mxtrainingcenter.com/

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
thanks for the advice robwbright. Kenworthys motocross park (used to be nationals ended in 2004 are about a half hour away dont know if i can ride there (im a trail person but riding is riding). I talked to my brother in law today and were putting in the top end saturday ( i was tempted to do it today fater school though)

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
Ok I just put in the top-end and rev pipe. The bike idles great but once it hits arround 1/4 to 1/3 throttle it falls on itself. What jets should i adjust? Or do you have any other ideas that could be wrong

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
I am lean, So I am new to jetting main jet is a 633 does that sound right? The shops in the area dont even have jets that large. What do you think?

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
on that peice is a small part that screws on in to it in the very bottom of the float bowl this is also hollow about a quarter inch long and hollow if this is it the number is 430 that sounds more pratical the largest a store arround here had was 580 mabe i thought the main jet was another part

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
I was completely wrong. The jet was a 430 I baught a 450 and put it in there. The bike would rev higher but still sputter. I will try a 460 tomorrow what jet should I change to change the high rpm range? Once again this is the first jetting I have done

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom