peterryan01

May 6, 2003
Hi guys,

I was out riding this weekend and I had a strange thing happen to me. First, I should say what my bike is running and equipped with: FMF Gnarly pipe, stock spark arrestor, Boyesen reeds, and an opened up airbox top. Those are all the exhaust mods I have. Then, I should say that I am running Prestone antifreeze (50/50) with anti-corrosion additive. I am running a 140 main jet with a BR7ES (one step hotter plug from stock BR8ES). I was riding at 10,500 feet in Colorado. The new plug is the only aspect that I can see that may have attributed to the boil. I usually run a 142 main at 8,000-9,000 feet and it runs great - after a long ride, I can still put my hand anywhere on the engine, and it is bearable. I have heard that a hotter plug may act as a glow plug and ignite the fuel too soon, but I'm not entirely sure how this would have caused my bike to BOIL at such altitude. Luckily, I stopped before the bike actually boiled over. I only lost ~200mL of antifreeze. I should also say that I was riding with my parents (including my mom) and she rides very slowly, so I was riding slow enough that I may not have been passing enough air through the radiator. If anybody has any suggestions about what I should do, let me know. I would like to keep the hotter plug, but I want to know if I should richen the jetting, or just drop the hotter plug and keep the jetting. I am so close on jetting for the altitude that I ride - I just need to know if anybody has any suggestions about the hotter plug, and what jetting adjustments need to be made.

Thanks,

Peter

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
You've got two choices - - either quit riding with your mom or read the thread on Evans coolant. My 220 always boiled over when ridden slowly. After installing the Evans NGP+ I've never had it boil even on the gnarliest, slowest of rides. Airflow is very important if you have a water based coolant in the bike. WHY would you install the B7 ? Unless the bike was repeatedly fouling the 8s, there's just no reason for a hotter plug. At 9000' & above, I'm running a 140 main, 40 pilot & needle clip in the very top slot - If you're going slow it's your pilot jet & needle position that is doing all of the work - not the main- so look there - try going richer 1 step on each [don't do both at once] & see if it runs cooler.

Top Bottom