auburndiver

Aug 12, 2004
I have 2001 KDX 200 and it has issues idling. The initial startup is a little difficult, but not that bad. If the bike dies, I can start it right back up with no problem. If the bike is on the kickstand, which makes it lean to the left (obviously), it idles fine. I can stand it up level and/or to the right and it will die (not instantaneous, but fairly quick). I can lean it back very quickly to the left and it will start back idling if I catch it quick enough. Likewise, when I am in the woods riding and back off or engage the clutch it will die…I can release the clutch and it starts right back up (I would assume due to the momentum of the bike and not a clutch issue)
What can cause this? I have had several ideas from several people, but am hoping that someone has more insight into this. Should I change the jets? Is it a float issue? Top end need rebuilding? Please help this is very annoying to deal with in the woods!!! Below I have listed the setup of my bike.

’01 KDX 200

Keihin PWKV980A0F1
Pilot Jet – 48
Main Jet – 160
Pro Circuit – Platinum (PK95200DP)
Pro Circuit USFS Silencer

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Take apart, CHECK THE FLOAT HEIGHT, clean ALL the JETS and check the FUEL VALVE for wear(The assembly where the FLOAT TANG) pushes against. Also, check your AIR SCREW (Approx.1.5x from seated position)

Porter

Jan 2, 2001
Spend 25 bucks on a Kawa shop book. It tells you just how to do it. Your correct float height should be 16mm measured from the top of the float to the bottom of the carb.(You turn the carb upsidedown with the float bowl off,the TANG just barely touching the fuel float pin. When your float height is correct,your bike will drain fuel out the overflow tube occasionally. Like if you leave your gas turned on while the bike is on its side stand. Make sure your float valve has a good tip on it,like GH said.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Looks real rich on jetting (may be just drowning) and sounds like you carb was not mounted level. After you do all recommended checking above be sure and put it back on level. Cheers John

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom