NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
my bulb burned out... *sigh*... both front and rear at the same time... :( .. turned out to be a simple wiring problem... :) ... so I went to the auto store for freshies.... they hand me the rear bulb, no problem.. but then look stunned to see the front and have no replacement for it...

So, I notice, at this point, that it has two filiments in it, and only one is burned out... the other seems fine... I go home and although it doesnt fit as nice upside down as it does upside right, it goes in without too much trouble and WORKS just fine upside down!!!... sweet, I figure, they made it so you can change it on the trail without carrying an extra bulb...

the problem is... I don't have another for when this one blows.... do I have the stock style bulb here??.. it has one tang coming off it but two terminals on the back (one for one element, the other for the other element)... it can be flipped (so I like it, and I hope to find another).... any suggestions?... (I'd rahter not pay dealer prices)

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Since it has that little "tit" on it - you can also just solder a bead across the two power prongs on the bottom. Works the same. Gotta love that double life bulb.

Oh - the Yamaha Breeze (?) uses the same bulb, as does the bear tracker - lots of their atvs.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Dennis Kirk has them in stock.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
skipro3 said:
NGE:
PM me your address. I have one I can send you....free!!!
*sigh*.. I'm only a registered user ..... I'm thinking it's getting to be about time to pay up to this site.... (I feel worse than a NPR pirate!... lol)...

The fact is that this site is a good shot more informative than my subscription to Dirt Rider magazine.... *sigh*, what a waste... if I wanted a bunch of subjective oppinions about the 'latest, greatest, most expensive' I could have got a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens... *sigh*...

Thanks for the info... I'll try to find the cheapo's first... but Dennis Kirk is 'on the way' to my next ride anyways (one of the joys of living in MN... Dennis Kirk Outlet and Bob's Cycle supply... sweetness).... do you know what they want for them?

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
kmccune said:
Dennis Kirk has them in stock.
how do you know this?.... I can't find it on their site.... under OFF ROAD/eletrical/bulbs and lighting you can't even input a Kawasaki??? what's with that?

oh, and they don't have the Yamaha's listed either... :(

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry I am replying late, I can't find it listed ether, but I buy them there. I stop on the way like NGE says. I'm not sure of the wattage. I just gave them my bike model and the old bulb and I get a new one. I just called Amy at home and she checked the bulb. ( what a woman!) all it says on the side is A-3603. They are in the hard copy catalog but they are not referenced to a bike model. Sorry I can't be more help. Wish I were worrying about getting a bulb to go riding this week-end we are going camping in Brainard :( Oh well have fun riding.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I just checke on buykawasaki.com and it is listed as a 12v 30/30W bulb.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
trsrdr said:
Just pop it out and turn it around, it'll work.

I already did that..... see first post...

thanks for ALL the killer info... I'm sure I can get it a DK on the way up tommorow.... I'll let you know if there is a problem...

oh, and Brainerd has some pretty good riding.... bring the bike!!

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
yup... it will be Monday most likely.... unless you expect me to run back home to post instead of riding.... in which case you're going to be bummed out.... :)

I took all the relevant info from this post and will check on it all and let you know what will fit (that DK has) and what the numbers are for them...

what are the precautions about which wattages will work?... I really don't want to burn up my wiring when I kick the light on.... I'm thinking lower than 30w is fine, but the higher the better (up to what point?)

Last edited:

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I am pretty sure I have an OEM bulb.... (if not, it is a very suitable substitute)... it is a KOITO 12v30/30w...

I googled it and got http://www.sp.koito.co.jp/autosply/3-9/3-9-0/normalh.htm .... towards the bottom of the list, there it is.... but my machine wont do Japanese... :(

is there some way to find out where they sell that very bulb.... I can't believe what they expect you to pay for a OEM bulb... :|

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
all they had was the 25w ones.... $3.99 US for 2 bulbs per package... part no.# 22-281 .. works just fine (probably dimmer than stock though)

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
no problem..... what I don't get is how they can possibly charge over $20 for one bulb from OEM.. and $3.99 for TWO at DK.... it's sad when you realize that your manufacturer is playing you for a sucker.... :|

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Oh, I forgot to mention.... these bulbs from DK also have two elements, so the flipping them over thing should work on these too....

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Glad it worked out, I stopped by Bobs Cycle during lunch today and they don't stock one for a KDX.

PS I really should have brought the bike to Brainerd :bang:

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
kmccune said:
PS I really should have brought the bike to Brainerd :bang:

I hate to say I told you so..... but.... well.... you know.... :)

have you tried Nickerson (Nemadji) yet?.... sweeeeeet single track love... (lots of big 4-wheeler trails too)

Jasonwho- the bulb I purchased from DK looked exactly like my OEM (I assume, as it is a 30/30w) except it says 25/25w on it.. same sizes in all respects.... they are both incandescent (filiment) bulbs... unless the new Kawi bulb is something different than stock '01, they are just plain ripping the buyer off...

when I get the chance I'll compare my new 25w bulb to the old 30w and see if I notice any appreciable difference... (now if I can just get the rear bulb to last more than 1 ride!)

Top Bottom