Electrical problem with KDX200

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
Hi guys its been about 4 years since I posted last. But I have just picked up another KDX.
I have a 91 KDX200 with a electrical problem im hopeing someone might be able to help me with.

For some reason it keeps on blowing light bulbs, if I plug in a new buld it will work for about 5 seconds and then blow the bike only has front and rear lights no indicators, the horn works so it must be somthing on the light circuit would I be looking for somthing shorting out?

Thanks

Andy

EYY

May 22, 2010
Under the seat there should be a regulator attached to the airbox lid if it's still there. That's what will stop your globes blowing, so it's obviously been removed or isn't working correctly

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Yep, someone probably removed the voltage regulator to save a few ounces of weight. It normally goes ont eh air box lid, but you can zip tie it to the frame if you removed the airbox lid.

FWIW, the '89 did not have the regulator, and Kawi added it in '90. Usually, it is the tail light bulb that blows out first.

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
Hey guys thanks for your replies, I have fixed the electrical problem now. By stripping all of the electrics off so I can use it just as a dirt bike.
Of course this means I will have to buy another KDX for road use :ride:

Top Bottom