1BadKX

Sep 26, 2002
Hey guys...I have some questions for some mods I'm going to do over the winter: First off my bike is all stock except the FMF Fatty pipe. Will silencers help? from what I read about the FMF shorty silencer...it will boost bottom end, while cutting down on top end...if this is true, then I don't want it...then looking at the regular Power CoreII....will this help much from stock? I guess I don't see how...the very end of the silencer (that wierd looking cap) is the same that's on the stock one...plus it looks the same size and shape...i mean, is it worth the $90?
Next, reeds/rad valve: I ride all over, sand, dirt, clay, mud, etc. and I just want the most power I can get from this bike...i want it to scream and pull the front end up easily (right now I have to scoot way back on the seat to get it to come right up..course maybe that's cause my tire is junk and has no meat on it) but anyway....should I get the rad valve or like power reeds? money won't matter...but will I have to re-jet either way? And do you re-jet by trial-and-error? or does Boyesen suggest? and who makes jet kits? I couldn't find any in Dennis Kirk (not for my bike anyways)
yea I know if i want the front end to come up easier, i could always jsut get a huge rear sprocket....but i don't want to sacrifice speed. ALSO - will all these mods on my bike cause it to wear faster? I know what you're all prolly thinkin...but all these increase horsepower and stuff...so will it require a lot more maintence? or require more complete top end rebuilds rather than just rings? Which brings me to another question..how often do you need to put a new piston in vs. just rings? like every 2 seasons? (i dont' ride EVERY weekend..but i do ride a lot) or is there somewhere I can get specs to see if the piston is wore enough? ALso from what i hear nowdays...the cylinder/sleeve you pretty much never have to replace unless it gets scratched badly or something right?
Lastly....have any of you heard of steering stabilizers? I like freestyle more than racing....i'm trying the no-hander landers...but the faster/higher the jump, the harder it is cause i start the tank slapping....and do you know if there's anywhere to buy freestyle side panels (for hand-holds) or do ya jsut cut a hole?
Hey..thanks for your time! I appreciate it!!!!
Jeremy

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
1BadKX,
Silencers can make a difference but it's a give and take situation. It's either more bottom end or more top end; but not both. There's not a silencer made that's going to give you more bottom end and more top end together. I would say that the $90 silencer is not money well spent.
On my KX, I've experimented with stock and Carbon Tech reeds. The stock reeds gave better bottom end. The Carbon Tech reeds lasted better. I just put in a set of Boyeson Pro Series reeds but haven't ridden with them yet. I'm told they produce the best of both worlds, bottom and top, but don't last as long. I don't have experience with the RAD valve on Kawi's , but I installed one on my CR and it increased the bottom end significantly. Jetting changes were required. Boyeson gives you a starting point on jetting then you have to adjust by feel from there. Jets are availble individually over the counter at most shops.
Regarding sprockets, I've gone up one tooth on my rear and have found that many people do the same on their KX's. This gives the bottom end a little more punch w/o sacrificing top end too much.
These mods shouldn't change you maintenance regimen any from stock. If your riding only weekends but don't make it out every weekend, I'd say you could get away with annual top end maintenance; assuming you take good care of your air filter and run a quality pre-mix. Typically, I'll change rings every six months and rings/piston annually.
KX cyclinder coatings are not bullet proof. They do need to be replated on occassion. Hours on the bike and air filter maintenance dictate when this needs to be done. I just had mine done on a 98 model KX.
I can't advise you on the use of steering stabilizers. Generally, KX's are more stable bikes than most. I've never felt the need for one but I do like to hold the handlebars on jump landings. :eek: Can't help on the side panels either.

Good luck.

Top Bottom