01 KX100 frame guards

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
does anybody make something cheaper than the $60 ones from works connection?

Thx,
Dan

Ruck94

Nov 24, 2002
Hey, Dan...I see you got a KX100. Ours are still running strong. I haven't looked at frame guards(I am assuming you are talking about the side frames) but we are crafting skid plates with a water pump guard built on. The boys are hard on the bottom of the frames and the water hoses and we did brake on water pump cover.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
Hey Ruck,

My daughter is graduating from an XR80 to a KX100. Quite a change. We're gonna detune it a bunch, with E Gorr porting and a flywheel weight.

Actually I was thinking of you. If you have any suggestions about these bikes, please let me know. In addition to the detuning we're getting an FMF Q spark arrestor, skid plate and maybe some other things to make it more woods durable.

I was planning a skid plate from Utah Sport Cycle. Are they missing vital protection, so that you had to craft your own? Are you interested in selling one?

BTW, did you upgrade to the 428 chain kit?

thx,
Dan

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I have one with a 428 chain(Oring) and I set up my sons with a 420 Oring and a steel rear sprocket. This set up was much cheaper and has lasted as long as the 428 with aluminum rear sprocket. I had to search high and low for the chain but i think it is a D.I.D. We raced 16 Mo. hare Scrambles and many trail rides and the sprockets are still in good shape even though there was a lot of mud this year. I have a buddy who is a fabricator and he traded favors with me and made a skid plate. you will be better off to find one already made and then if it needs work have a skilled fabricator weld a shoe on it to prtect the water pump. Flywheel weight is a must for detuning but these bikes are very durable and can be ridden modestly if needed. It is a shame that KTM doesn't make an 5 or 100 but the Kawies have proven to be good bikes for my son and my nephew. they ride the heck out of them and do minimal maint. and we have gotten MANY hours use. Keep the filter clean, run big handguards to protect the levers(eps the front brake as it is a goofy one off deal) if you need to buy replacement parts always check the SUZUKI price first and some of their stuff has been significantly cheaper(the only dif is the yella plastic). You will bend pipes if she rides in the rocks. I keep a spare and have straightened a couple with pipe plugs and a torch. Dangerous and I don't recommend trying that trick at home but we have a decent system.
Grease the suspension linkage ASAP as ours were nearly dry from the factory.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…