thrillseek

Dec 14, 2008
in the local craigslist theres a used 01 kx100 for sale for 350$.

says... "I am selling this 2001, Kawasaki KX100 2stroke dirt bike for only $350.00 because I do not have the time or money to fix it. It was running great until my son pulled the air filter out and dropped something in the motor scratching the cylinder and piston. A mechanic opened the top of the motor and recomends changing the piston, rings and cylinder to have it in top shape again. "

whaddya think. its a first bike for my wife.

how much would the rebuild cost for the parts, and do you think theres something more wrong with it than dudes admitting, or potentially worse damage internally... thanks for the help. -b

thrillseek

Dec 14, 2008
what are the parts? im not really sure what kind of damage is in there...

i apologize if these are retarded questions. im new.

looking for personal opions based on experience..

or a ballpark guesstimate...

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
My opinion if you do it your self a few hundred bucks,if all goes well and no other damage, pay a mechanic about 65.00 a hour about 4-5 hundred.
I did a complete rebuild top and bottom end buying all my parts off ebay for a cr 125 about 350.00, mechanice wanted about 700.00. The problem is if you don't know what you are doing or looking for with small or unknown apparent damage it will end up costing you just as much in the end and allot of headaches but great learning experience.
If you have a buddy who knows motorcycle mechanics that helps. I work at a honda place so I was able to bring the motor in when I got stuck and they pointed me in the right direction.
hope that helps!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
yz80nbeast said:
do it ur self and save tons of money
Or do it yourself and spend A LOT more money when you realize you have no clue what you are doing. OR worse yet find out when it pops again that you didn't know what you were doing. Sometimes it's better to pay a pro to do the job as it's both less expensive and less grief.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
I agree! I spent more on my rebuild than it would have cost to have someone else do it but the good thing for me is that I learned so much in the process ! Good thing I had other bikes for people to ride so one bike down for a few months was not a big deal but if it is the only one you have spend the money to have a pro do it. Unless like me you want to learn how to rebuild engines and it is cheaper than college! :nod:

yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
ok ill put it in my terms i being 17 and all went from not knowing what a power band was and had been riding for years until one day i bought a clymers manual to do the top end my self at the age of 14 and leanered jus about everything i wanted to know and needed to know and this lead to me wanting to be a mechanic sooooooo... so you will be better of in the future if your good with your hands buy a clymers and get to work

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
I'm all for learning to do things on my own and wiuth only $350 invested, I would say that's not too bad to learn on. The parts themselves with a replate of the cylinder, piston, crank and bearings only run around $300-$400 for the KX100. However, having been through a 2004 KX100 complete engine rebuild, I will tell you that the Kawasaki's are probably one of the worst bikes for the home mechanic if you ever have to get into the bottom end. There is no way to properly insert a new crank into a KX100 without a hydraulic press and a special Kawasaki crank alignment tool. Others will tell you to heat the bearing and freeze the crank but trying this will only result in messing the crank up. So, without knowing what the bottom end looks like, the only way I would tackle this is to have a reputable shop do it.

If it were me, I'd still buy the bike for that money and part it out. You'll easily make double your money.

Good luck!

Top Bottom