Hurricane901

~SPONSOR~
Aug 24, 2001
Been out of racing for 12 years, I would love a new blue or Red bike but considering I have to get all new gear, I want to keep the cost low. Last bike I raced was a 88 KX250 and I loved it. Have an opportunity to pick up a 01 KX 250, just want to know if there is any major problems with this bike? Probably race MX, HS.

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
I have a 00 kx 250. The biggest complaint I have is the rear linkage bearings. You need to keep a constant watch on those bad boys. Other people that I talk to with that bike say the same thing. I like mine. Good luck!

ccie6872

Jun 25, 2001
I have a 01 KX250 and very happy with it. The only complaint I have is the seat (hard!!!) and hitting nuetral (spelling) allot. There are some threads on the shifting problem out there. Other then that, a very solid bike!

Enjoy

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Hurricane,

You sound like me. I have been out of racing since 1989 and just picked up a 2001 KX250 in january of this year. Awsome bike. I love the power. Like the others, I too hit neutral quite a bit and the linkage bearings should be heavily lubed with waterproof grease. I use the Bel-Ray Waterproof, but we all have our favorites. Overall, the bike seems to be bulletproof. It has more power than I'll probably ever be able to use. The best part is you have ridden older KX's. This makes it easy because the ergo's have'nt changed much. I think you'll be happy with it.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i had the 99,. and my complaint was how the raditor shrouds tore up my knees when i'd let them get into the v-shaped area. Other than that, it had a very strong midrange hit,, i'd have it ported for mo'better if i still had it...other than that,, the hard seat is the only other thing...

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just got a 01'kx250 and have had no problems w/it.. I will definately keep an eye on the rear linkage bearings though.. A long time ago i used to have a problem hitting neutral, a freinf reccomended lifting my whole leg while shifting.. Maybe this may help you.. Good luck w/your new bike if you get it..
Rick:cool:

Hurricane901

~SPONSOR~
Aug 24, 2001
Thanks for the replies guys, I can live with the linkage problems if any? I'm use to the old bike feel and love the midrange hit of the old KX, the only problem is I gained about 25 lbs. since I raced last. But I hear the jetting is good, suspension good and I'm use to checking every nut and bolt before I go for a rip. Hmmmm what colour gear to get? Orange?;) :) or Pokka Dot :)

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Flannel is the only way to go, for gear. You can get a nice left side fork-mounted chainsaw rack at Canuck Tire for that badboy, too.
Does CEET still make those zebra-stripe seat covers?

You'll love the bike, it's a great performer and performance-wise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, don't listen to the magazines. IMHO this bike hits a home run, but I did have some bad luck mechanically with mine. Shoot me a PM if you want the details, I'm sure everyone else is tired of hearing about it.:uh:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
KX250

What CCIE said about hitting neutral is something both the 2000 and 2001 are known for this problem. Other than the minor fact that the spokes are forever coming loose after every ride, I like mine

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Lower linkage bearings were shot in one summer! I guess that was from powerwashing too much. Other than that, the bike has been great. I did have some trouble getting the jetting right. It ran extremely rich out of the box. The nice thing about the KX 250 is that you can have it bored to a 310. Just got mine back from Gore and anxious to feel the difference. Very fast bike stock though!

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
DIX
You got a year out of your bearings? I wish I could. I have put the fatory parts in and aftermarket. both are about the same in quality,but the stock parts are more$$$. Just before I ran a 6 hour iron man hare scrambler I put all new parts in and after the race the shock bearing on the bottom was gone and the linkage bearings was full of mud. { it was a very muddy race though}But on norm conditions I still tear it down after about 4 rides and repack. I gues that is one of those high mantiance things for me. Other than that I love the bike. I ran 15 races this year nad the never failed.

Hurricane901

~SPONSOR~
Aug 24, 2001
Dix
A KX 310 sounds very sweet:)
Did any body add a larger tank or a flywheel weight? I'll probably throw on a skidplate, pro tapers and a O ring but a 310 sounds like the ticket. I haven't heard any complaints about the suspension, one less headache.
Theres a few Orange 300 exc kickin around a KX 310 sounds like a nice weapon to shut these guys down;)

Netra105

Mar 10, 2001
I have a 00 and love it im just selling it now cause i bought a house and need cash and im going to fiance something instead. I wont be getting another kx, as much as i love my kx I hate the brakes and have done lots with them but i need to go back to honda brakes and also I want something that has a little more durablity ( dont get me wrong the kx is strong, but its not honda quality) I had mine set up for harescrambles with offroad suspention and a clarke clear tank and streering damper and a 13 oz flywheel weight good bike

dix

Nov 24, 2001
The lighter and narrower 250 frame better suits my size and riding style, but needs more power. If you were able to buy a 500 with today's technology and style, then i would buy one. And yes, I know about the guy who builds the Cr 500 from the 250, but I wasn't aware of that until after I bought my 250. It appears as though I didn't do my homework well enough.

ccie6872

Jun 25, 2001
Would a 500 have more power and low end then a 310? I currently have a 01 KX250 and looking to sell it for a 02' KX500, mainly for the dunes and more bottom end.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
I currently own a ’00 KX500. It weights in at 6 pounds over the 250 (dry). Can’t say how it compares to the 310 but I can vouch for the low end. Big bore bikes have tons of torque. From the low end up it just takes a roll-on of the throttle to rearrange the landscape big-time or bring the front end skyward. Very fun bike, especially if you like to wheelie. :) Very predictable power band for a race intended bike. Surprised me. Great for wide open spaces when geared stock. Covers a lot of real-estate in a hurry…. May need to gear down a little for woods or open class MX. Currently mines stock, no additional flywheel weight although I’m sure it would help tame the beast a little. With a little tweak here and there on the suspension it make a decent bike even if the technology is a little "dated".
:)

Top Bottom