YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
I plan to trail ride with a 01' YZ250. I just bought the bike and I know it needs a new top end. I am also wanting to get it ready for trail riding. What should I do to the bike? Also if you recommend that I install something can you tell me the brand/size (all the information I need to order the part). I rebuild my street bikes but this will be my first dirt bike rebuild so any hints would be appreciated. This is the list I have so far

1. Flywheel weight (how much weight and what brand)
2. Top end (Does someone make a great ket or is it better to buy individual pieces?)
3. Jet kit (What brand and do they come with alot of needles?)

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I just acquired a fully enduro race ready 01 YZ250 and IMO it is perfectly equipped. You'll definitely need all the guards (hand, skid plate, pipe guard - CF, rotors, etc). Top end is pretty easy so you'll want to do that first. Wiseco makes a kit - go with it. You'll need a top end gasket kit too. I use Cometic.

If the bike runs fine after the top-end, I wouldn't touch the jetting (my 01 is stock and spot on). If you do, Keihin jets are what you need. I'm sure there are all kinds of posts on here about jetting.

FWW - good question. I just received my 11 oz Steahly last night and will test it this weekend. I thought it might be a bit on the heavy side but Steahly will grind it down for free if you send it back within 30 days of purchase.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
www.motosportoutlet.com does the complete wiseco topend kit $120 shipped

try using the search function, there is loads of info on tuning, jetting etc. this bike in this and the mods+perform forum.

a lot of people say the stock jetting is good, i always found it too rich but it is all dependant on conditions. just buy a 48 pilot and a 175 main to have spare to help with tuning

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Hey YZ,
Noticed you are in NVa, I moved from Clifton to NC in 95. I miss the land I had but thats about it. Where do you get to ride in the area now? As a kid, I rode the trails and pits in what is now Tysons Corner. There is a guy who built a track off 29 about two miles north of 66, has he been able to get it up and running? I understand it backs up to the battlefield, you must know how that can be.
If you are looking for any trail parts, I know Tiger has a few to fit your bike:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72166

YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for all of the replies they will help alot. 96whyzee125 as far as the place right of Rt.29 that places was shut down by the locals. It was too close to the battlefield and the person ended up almost going to jail. (According to a local newsgroup)

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
10-11 oz flywheel weight, all the necassary guards (bark busters, pipe guard, skid plate, frame guards, radiator brace), aluminum handle bars if you don't already have them, have your suspension revalved and resprung for your weight, skill, and terrian. Having your suspension done is the best mod you could possibly spend your money on. Especially for trail use! It will make the bike soo much easier to manage over the rough terrian and a lot less tiring to ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom