'02 220 Jetting help needed or??

Crispie0

May 2, 2002
I'm having trouble dialing in my bike after removing airbox lid, KG-30 pipe, Boyesen reeds - #607 and carb bored by Fredette. I'm running a 48 pilot 3/4 - 1 turn out, 155/158 main and stock jet needle in the middle clip. Temperature is upper 60's low 70's. Alt. -1000ft. Humidity isn't a factor right now.

What's bothering me is that with all the above mod's I'm still neck and neck with my brothers stock '01 220. Could I have possible done something incorrectly when putting in the Weiseco piston? I didn't take apart the KIPS valve or anything. Brand new bike. I aligned the advancer shaft with the markings. Could I have done something incorrectly putting in the Boyesen reeds? I'm having a hard time thinking its only the jetting that's the factor. Why go through all the money for these mod's and only have a slight increase over stock once dialed in? I'm totally lost here.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
At first glance your jetting looks too rich every where which will zap power in a hurry. Given your conditions I would have expected to see you using a 42/45 pilot and a 152/155 main jet with the stock needle in the second from the top clip position. For more details on jetting check out the JustKDX home page, click on tech tips then carb tuning.

David

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
I thoroughly enjoy being able to be neck and neck with my "lil" brother when we are racing down the staights. Maybe I don't need to spend all that money...... That being said I am convinced that the jetting is wrong on my brothers bike.

My question is this, the carb tuning guide says to jet according to a 95 to 2000 KDX 2000. I am assuming this would be the "modified" KDX 200 recomendations. I notice the jet needle for the KDX 200 is a R1174K but Crispie is still running the stock 220 jet needle, R1173L. What effects will this have? Should he switch to the R1174K? Maybe a totally different needle jet is the answer. Speaking for crispie he is looking for a smooth power band. No big hits when it is in the mid to upper rpm range. We love how the bikes pull down low.

Top Bottom