enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Went riding yesterday at the Utah Spodefest and met a real live spode.

Parked my bike at an overlook and while I was enjoying the scenery the spode coming up the trail hit a rock and promptly veered in to my bike. Pushed the bike over and snapped the kickstand off. :|

Well KTM fixed the problem with the kickstand bolt breaking. Now the new kickstand stud that the bolt threads into breaks. On further inspecition it would appear one of the problems is that bolt is too short. Instead of it the thread of the bolt engaging all the threads in the stud it only threads in about 1/2". If they would have had a long enough bolt to reach all the way through the stud, it probably would have been able to with stand this hit.

Has anyone had this problem with the new design? Is there a fix besides buying a whole new bracket (around $40.00).

One step forward two steps back!

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Yeah I checked that but that one only fits 98-01. They changed the design for 02. The bolt doesn't break now, the threaded stud does.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
02 Kickstand Bolt.

enmerdeur,
I broke mine a few months ago and got a stainless steel replacement from Mike's Cycle. Their contact infol. follows.

Phone PARTS: 800-367-5209 TECH INFO: 225-355-4525 TOLL FREE/FAX ORDERS: 866-KTM-KTM1
Fax 225-355-4525
Website Link http://www.mikescyclektm.com

See you on the trail.

ktmike55

Apr 25, 2002
sorry but you will have to buy the bracket. im on my third one im now very careful not yo put the kick stand down on anything soft where it can sink. if it sinks the bike will fall over and almost always wrecks the bracket. also dont let anybody sit on the bike with the kickstand down. kickstand is a weak point. its light weight and made just to support the bike.

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Fixed but for how long?

Well here is a fix I did. Not sure how long it will last but it hasn't fallen over in my garage yet!

I went and bought a 8mm Cheese Head bolt that was long enough to thread through the entire threaded stud. I had to grind (my kingdom for a lathe!) the outside diameter of the bolt head to fit into the kick stand recess (where the original bolt head use to reside). I put the bolt in kick stand and then threaded the broken piece of the threaded stud onto the bolt until it was tight. I then threaded the the bolt/kick stand assembly onto the kick stand bracket. I found that the part of the threads in the stud where the stud was welded to the bracket were tight (probably from the welding process) so I had to run a tap through them. I then took a 1/4" drive 12mm socket and ground the outside diameter (my kingdom for a lathe!) of the socket until it would engage the bolt head and fit inside the kick stand bore. Tightened everything nicely with blue loc-tite.

We will see.

Top Bottom