91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have 98 KX 250 forks on my KDX that Fredette put on for the previous owner of the bike. I really like the forks (dislike the rest of what the previous owner did) so I kept the forks on. I blew a fork seal a long time ago and am finally getting around to fixing it. I bought a new Dust seal and Oil seal, but both the seals look exactly the same. I am not sure if they are supposed to be or not. But the real problem is I cannot get the Allen bolt to turn. I have heated the outer race up with a torch, I have tried to spray WD-40 in the threads. I have even made a tool out of part of a bolt and peice of long solid steal, which I welded together. I tried it but I think the bolt is going to snap. I am also puzzle on how I should put the fork in the vice. I have put I towel around the fork and then snugged it up in the Vice but it still turns. I have gotten it to catch the Brake Caliper mount but I don't want to tweak the mount. Any help or tricks would be awesome!
Benjamin

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I don't know about KX forks but on the KDX's I think it is not necessary to remove the allen to change the seals. Hopefully someone else will confirm this or not...
Also you might check out MX-Tech, I think they have some tips there.

If you really want to get the allen off you might try an impact wrench, I think someone reccomended that before....

Top Bottom