02 Berg's! (need something to get mind off events)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Anyone read the DirtBike preview of the '02 'Bergs yet? I dunno, from what little "real" info they gave, they sound pretty sweet. There's a local dealer which would help with parts, instant service help, etc. I can get on a FX470 for roughly the price of a 400EXC, and still be under 240 lbs (dry) if I'm not mistaken! Plus, my dumb guess is that the power delivery is right inbetween the 400 & 520, which sounds perfect for me.

I think they're pretty ugly with the blue & yellow mix 'n match plastics. And the name doesn't sound cool or romantic. But everything I read tells me I should consider one. I love 2-strokes, however I keep finding myself leaning towards a 4-stroke when planning for the long haul (California trail riding & Hare Scrambles).

Anyone know if the aftermarket companies like Acerbis/UFO (plastics) or One/N-Style (graphics) bother with the 'Bergs? I'd have to do something about the bum-ugliness.

Also, I like the idea that they have access to kTm's knowledge/technology, and probably have been able to make big strides in areas like durability, etc. Good assumption? Conversely, I wouldn't feel too comfortable with a new GasGas or TM thumper. And the Honda won't suit my style (like my CR didn't). The new Huksy's look equally as intriguing as the Husabergs, but nearest dealer is 150 miles away.

The only other downside I see is that I'm a below-average rider, and I'd be under constant scrutiny whereas if I were back on my CR, I'd blend in with everyone else - just like I do when I drive my wife's minivan. I don't want to put my novice riding skills on displayeach time I unload the bike.

Obviously, my comments are all full of opinion/personal tase fluff, and lacking any technical meat. Any other thoughts from you smart guys?

Last edited:

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
Husaberg is awesome! I had a '97 FE400E that was great!! It required more maint. than a honda, but is also a race bike compared to a trail bike. I would lean towards a e-start. I learned though, that 4-strokes are better for open riding. I started racing in Eastern enduro's (very tight 1st-2nd gear stuff) and any 4-stroke is hard to move around for a novice. I would never hesitate for another berg if my riding conditions changed. it is simple, if you can not work on your own bike, or get mad when something breaks, Husaberg is not for you. 'state of the art' always has it's price. the ktm is the next best choice, maybe even better.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
At some point we were all below average. There is only one "best" in the whole world.
I just talked to a guy who owned a 470. He loves the bike, but saddly it had major mechanical problems. Something to do with the internal starting gear I believe. Probably an isolated insident.
Zio, your not that slow.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
The NEW Bergs...

Are really nice.
The engines are very well made and designed, conterbalancer and all.
This is a great new motor with little in common to the oil pumpless ones.
They are rewarding bikes to ride, but require conformity...

Chris-NJ

May 26, 2000
My '97 FE400E was conterbalanced and had an oil pump (only e-start versions were). It was a great bike, probably still is! Next owner called recently and loves it! The e-start '97's were kinda 2nd generation Berg's, and the '01's are 3rd gen., and look much better. Good Luck.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Third Generation...

Also, the cases on all models are machined to accept an electric starter.
If you buy a non-button model you can refit the lil' button starter!

HUSABERG 501

Aug 5, 2000
All I know is I love my 01 FC 470!:) This machine is light , nimble, and FAST!!! Since I've been riding/racing dirtbikes (way back in 97) I've ussually finished in the back of the pack. This yr alone with this BERG I have been finishing in the upper half. This bike has just gives me sssssooooooo much confidence it's unreal! It would take me more than half the day to get used to a new track. Now it's just amazing how quickly I get comfortable on new tracks. Not too mention all this trash talking about how unreliable BERG'S are :eek: I also own a 97 FC 501 As long as you do regular maintinance you'll be A ok. If you want something not too many other people will have (if I only had a dollar for everyone who stops and checks my BERG out I'd never had to pay for it out of my own pocket)! A machine that can be gentle, yet when you twist the throttle all the power of the mighty HAMMER GOD THOR himself!

Top Bottom