JamesM

May 24, 2002
I would like to check and adjust ,if necessary, the cam timing of my 02 CRF 450. Does anyone have timing specs for the stock 02 cam? Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Stock the 02 cam has the intake lobe center (point of maximum lift) set at 107.5 degrees.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Advancing the cam timing can give the 2002 a nice bump in torque below the peak but you'll be closing the intake valve earlier so the trade off tends to be some top end.
For most riders it's a good trade off. An intake LCA in the 103-105 range will work well.

The cam gears are pretty hard so it's a little tough to slot them but it can be done with the right tooling. SFO slotted a Honda gear for me so maybe he can share some thoughts on the best way to go about this.

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Stock the 02 cam has the intake lobe center (point of maximum lift) set at 107.5 degrees.

Rich, point of maximum lift is not as accurate a description of LCA as your readers deserve. :)
Next we will have people averageing peak lift to get LCA when it is really based on the center of opening and closing which allows us to take into account asymetrical grinds and their respective LCAs.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SFO said:
Rich, point of maximum lift is not as accurate a description of LCA as your readers deserve. :)

You're right, I'll plead laziness based on a busy schedule lately :whiner: I'll put up something more helpful in the next day or so. :thumb:

Top Bottom