02 ktm 125sx suspension for offroad

yota

Oct 9, 2001
My 125SX set up for woods:

weighted flywheel from my 200 mxc (same part # as 125 exc)
MX tech revalve
7.6 N/mm straight rate shock spring from my 200
bark busters
radiator guards
skid plate
lowered subframe 5mm
shifter from my 200 (shorter)
headlight (lighting coil from 200)
Delta V-force reed block
Doma pipe & silencer
Michelin S-12 front
Bridgestone M-26 rear
brake snakes both sides
Scotts steering stabilizer (as soon as I get a mount for the fat bars)

everything came off my 200 (including the subframe) except the pipe and silencer.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Yota,
Great to hear of your sucess in the suspension mods! I have a tough time convincing people to get their KTM suspension setup but the money and effort are really worth it, wouldn't you agree? What fork springs are you running with the MX-Tech setup? BTW, I checked with Moto Tassinari today and they spec a different cage for the '01-'02 125s. I called them and asked if the difference was just in the reeds and the person on the phone said that she believed that the cage was actually different now. So you may want to check out the latest offerings from M-T!

yota

Oct 9, 2001
Bud-Man, I'm running the stock fork springs as Jeremy said they were good for my weight, 185# with gear.

When I bought the Doma pipe from Gerald Langston I told him I was going to put the V-Force reeds from my 200 on the 125 and he said that I might have a problem at some point because they make a special reed for the 125 that can stand up to the higher rpm's. So far no probs and it works incredible. I'll cross that bridge when I have to. I do have a guy from the woodsracer site sending me a set of 18mm offset Factory R&D clamps with stem at a good price. Although the bike corners great now, I thought I'd try them since the price was right, I can always get my money out of them if I don't like them.

I agree with you though, suspension mods if well done are a better bang for the buck than power mods by far if the object is to ride better and faster(unless all you do is rip up and down roads). I did have a bad job of revalving done on my 200 a few years ago by an un-named company and their vaunted "valve body system". To qualify that I've got to say that the 98 KTM suspension was a hard fix.

This bike takes less effort to ride fast than anything I've ever been on, its a blast. We just got a huge dose of rain today so the sand should be good and wet this weekend, will be a relief to ride in something other than deep dry powder. I wish all the guys experiencing winter right now could be here. Day starts in low 50's and by afternoon we're in the high 60's/low 70's.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
I just got off the phone with a technical rep at Tassinari and he gave me a little more info. The reed pedals are not the only difference! While the older cages will work, they are different. The cage for the '01-'02 125 sx is built just for that bike, is smaller and has a reed stuffer in it. The guy said the same thing that you mentioned about reed life, but also said the new cage performs much better. Who knows, maybe he just wants me to buy a new assembly......but I think I'm going to let the old cage go with the old bike and start with a new assembly. On a different subject, if you aren't happy with the clamps, send me a PM as I'd like to give them a try on my 400sx! :)

"Day starts in low 50's and by afternoon we're in the high 60's/low 70's."

What I wouldn't give for that kind of weather again. Lately the high temps around here have been lucky to hit 25*F!

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I grew up in the pacific northwest but I've been in the south since 79 or 80 and I don't think I could handle winters like you get anymore. It got a little more chilly here today and I need a jacket outside but nothing that would keep me from riding.

Its hard to believe that the new V-force is that much better but you never know. I'll wait for you to get one and report! I can't imagine this little motor putting out more power than it already has.

I hope I do like the offset clamps but if I don't I'll give you first shot at them as all my ktm friends have the 43mm forks.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
mxbundy.....I know all those guys you mentioned. I have been working most the FTR events with my trackside support truck the last cpl years and they are a great bunch of people. The FTR events are even bigger than most MX events anymore here in FL. You can get more info at www.floridatrailriders.org I will soon be part of the new Kawasaki/Aprilia dealership in Daytona. We should be open by Bike Week so if you come to FL in a cpl months stop in & say hi. Also if you make it to 1 of our races be sure to stop by my DHR support truck on vendor row & say hey.....

doc

Blade

Spammer
Jan 4, 2002
ShockDoc ,
Do you make any of the GNCC races near Florida , like Macon , Ga.?

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I used to do the close ones but since we are starting our new dealership in Daytona soon I will be cutting down on the travel some.....

doc

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…