OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
I went riding on a hare scrambles course yesterday with my KX250. It was fun but my bike was very unhappy. I was wondering if any of you have done mods for a hare scramble without changing the bike so much it wasn't anygood for motocross. I'd like to do both with the same bike, I'm just not talented enough to go 30 mph though the woods, or on the mx track for that matter. Some help would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I know guys who do both, but not with the same bike. The bike setups are completely different, not to mention oversized tanks, bark-busters, etc needed for woods racing.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I know a guy that rides a stock 05 KX250 in harescrambles. He didn't seem to have any trouble offroad, but he's thinking of adding a flywheel weight and bigger tank (definitely ran out of gas during the last race). A flywheel weight is easily removable so you can tame it down a little for harescrambles then unbolt it for mx.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Try softening up the suspension and go up a tooth or 2 on the rear sprocket..

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I rode with Darby in the woods once, and we encountered an axle deep mud bog. His KX250 tractored out of it from a dead stop like it was nothing. I was very impressed with how his bike performed down low in the muck. Not sure if he had any mods at all.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I ride a 02 kx250 on both track and woods racing, A fly wheel weight will help it from stalling and softer suspension for constant roughness,wound do the trick!! A weight is also good on some long tracks. I been practicing for a hairscramble the last two months with out the weight on my flywheel and am starting to like it that way.I think the biggest thing with long woods races is keeping your speed up, picking a good line before you get to it,and being in good shape!! work on your thigh muscles!! because your going to be standing alot!! :nod:

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
kx250

I also ride an 02 kx250 as well and think our bike is awesome for the woods and good for the track. These guys are dead on about the mods. needed to make the bike better. Hey chevy383, are you intrested in selling me your flywheel weight? Cause ive been really wanting to try one out on my kx :)

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
I have been wanting to try a weight as well. My Bikes alot older than your bikes though.(1990 KX250) I know for my bike Eric Gorr recomends it to smooth it out some. The power band is pretty abrupt.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I had a 89 kx250 in 92 and I rode with a lot of buddys that had yz's and cr's and one with a kx 500, I;m not bragging but my bike would out run,out climb, and out lasted all of there bike, and never changed a piston or anything besides chains and sprokets,tires!! Hands down it was the best bike I ever had :nod: As for the fly wheel weight, I'm going to keep it and maybe use it for muddy conditions !! The weight tames it a bit and helps you use all the low end torque for real tight woods riding.

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
thanks for the reply chevy383.. Which brand fww do you have and how many ounces is it? Im looking into getting one soon and was thinking about the 11 or the 13 oz. our bikes have gobs of bottom end and i ride alot of tight tight trails but i havent decided which one to get. My only problem is when i lock up the rear brake for a hard turn, my bike stalls on me. :bang:

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
I've got a 9 once Steahly It does'nt carry as much as a 13 but I don't like it real heavy(I like to stay on the pipe a lot), You might be happy with a 11 once!! Try keeping your fore finger on the clutch lever at all times,and use it in the tight turns-right before exiting the turn nail it and release the clutch. That will help keep your speed up!! :nod:

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
I do pull the clutch in but i cant give it gas at the same time cause i have my right hand pulling in the front brake lever during hard brakeing. I dont stall all time but i do once in a while letting the thumpers (4stoke 250s )to catch up to me. :) I love riding my 2stroke cause its loud enough to let the thumper boys know im always riding their arsee whenever im following them.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I have a KX250 2006, with a 11oz flywheel weight, IMS long range tank, bark busters, skid plate and exhaust guard, and I have gone down from a 51 tooth rear sprocket to a 48 tooth, you need to gear a little longer for offroad/trail use, not shorter. This also help to make the bike more rideable in the tight stuff as it keeps the bike out of the power band longer. As for Suspension:
Forks: Compression 11 clicks out, Rebound 18 – 16 clicks out. (Standard comp.11, rebound 11)
Shock: HS Comp. 1.25 turns, Comp. 12 clicks, Rebound 10 clicks out, sag 100mm (Standard setup)

dirt ninja

Feb 20, 2006
gearing

You have to gear it the way you ride and by the transmission of your bike. Im going to tell you that we dont have the same gear ratio as the o6's. I had a 48 and a 49 rear spoket on my (02)bike and would never leave 2nd gear in the woods. Those gears are for the slow and casual rider. I now have a 51 and love it but I also ride very fast through the woods and like being in the smooth powerband that we have. I havent tried a 50 tooth but im sure that would be a excellent choice for both moto x and woods. Please dont forget that you ride a mx and need to keep your plug clean so being in the powerband is a good thing as well. :cool:

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
My problem was the fact this was so tight it was all first and second gear and bad jetting for the woods. The jetting was fine for the max track but I was way too rich for the trails. It was explained to me that holding the gears in the woods for a long time is fine, I was back and forth between first and second all the time. Maybe first gear is too high or I need some quality time in the woods getting to ride faster. I have a new gnarly pipe and rejetted, let ya know how it works. Thanks

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
My problem was the fact this was so tight it was all first and second gear and bad jetting for the woods. The jetting was fine for the mx track but I was way too rich for the trails. It was explained to me that holding the gears in the woods for a long time is fine, I was back and forth between first and second all the time. Maybe first gear is too high or I need some quality time in the woods getting to ride faster. I have a new gnarly pipe and rejetted, let ya know how it works. Thanks

Top Bottom