Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Caught this over at Racer-X anybody else know anything about it?

March 21, 2002

2002 Motocross des Nations in California?

Mark this one down as a definite-maybe: Racer X has learned from a source close to the situation -- Malcolm McCassy -- that Southern California motocross facility Competition Park, located out by Beaumont, has made a deal with Dorna Off-Road of Spain to host the 2002 FIM Motocross des Nations, tentatively scheduled for September 28-29. The event was originally set to be held in the infield of Spa-Francorchamps Formula 1 facility and hosted by Georges Jobe, but that deal fell apart. There has long been talk that a U.S. circuit, possibly Budds Creek in Maryland or Glen Helen in San Bernardino, California. The only other time the 56-year-old race was held in the U.S. was in 1987 at Unadilla. Competition Park, which is run by McCassy's father, is planning on holding the event at its new facility, which is being built four miles away from the existing one. This is definitely a fluid story, so we'll let you know more as soon as we get some confirmation one way or the other.

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
MXDN in So. Cal......sweet :aj:

This is from Proride.com message board. Jim is the owner of Comp. Park:

WELL, IT LOOKS LIKE THE CAT IS PARTIALLY OUT OF THE BAG, SO I GUESS I MIGHT AS WELL LET IT ALL OUT...AND IT'S NOT JUST ANY CAT...IT'S A FREAK'IN BENGAL TIGER..........

IT'S TRUE, I JUST SIGNED THE PROMOTERS CONTRACT FOR THE MOTOCROSS DES NATIONS TO BE HELD AT COMPETITION PARK IN SEPTEMBER OF THIS YEAR....MALCOLM AND I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR QUITE SOME TIME, AND I'M VERY PLEASED TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT WE HAVE BROUGHT THE RACE TO AMERICA....AND A LOT OF OTHER GREAT THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN AT THE COMP IN THE COMING YEARS, BUT THAT IS FOR ANOTHER DAY.....LET'S SAVOR THIS ONE FIRST...I'M PRETTY STOKED...AND I SURE HOPE YOU ALL ARE AS WELL.....AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, THIS IS A HUGE UNDERTAKING, AND QUITE FRANKLY A BIG TIME FINANCIAL COMMITTMENT, SO WE ARE GOING TO NEED THE SUPPORT OF THE WHOLE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MX FAMILY....THAT MEANS THIS...WE GOT IT HERE, SO YOU GUYS SHOW 'EM THAT YOU WILL SHOW UP!!!!

THERE IS A LOT THAT I HAVE TO SHARE WITH YOU GUYS AND LADIES, BUT TO BE HONEST, I'M KINDA BURNED OUT RIGHT NOW...I'M TAKIN' A DAY OR TWO OFF, SO IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, POST EM, AND I'LL TRY TO ANSWER THEM ALL....AT LEAST THE DEAL IS DOWN, SO YOU ALL NOW KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN FOR A VERY SPECIAL TREAT...MAYBE A ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY..

ONE LAST THING.....WHEN I STARTED THIS VENTURE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, I HAD A LOT OF PEOPLE TELL ME THAT MY IDEA OF THIS TYPE FACILITY IN SAN JACINTO WOULDN'T WORK...THAT NOBODY WOULD SUPPORT IT.....WELL, HOW WRONG THEY WERE...YOU GUYS ALL ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HELPING ME AND MALCOLM BRING THIS RACE TO AMERICA...TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...SO IN REALITY, YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES WHO GAVE US THE SUPPORT TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN...SO I'M COUNTING ON YOU AGAIN, THIS TIME TO MAKE THE MX DES NATIONS IN AMERICA A RAGING SUCCESS....LET'S WAKE AMERICA UP TO MOTOCROSS.....
LIKE SOMEONE ONCE SAID.........BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME....

GOD BLESS

JIM CPMX

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
MX Dude - thanks for the post! WOW! :cool:

MX Des Nations - HERE! Nothin better than homecourt advantage!

Anyone ride at Comp Park? What's it like? How's the track - pretty outdoor style? And how's the facility - lots of pit area and fan area I hope? This is great news though... I can't wait until September. Go team USA! :)

Mx Dude

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2000
As cool as it sounds, I can't understand how Comp Park was awarded the race. Now I've never been to Comp. Park (yet), but I understand it has a fine aroma of cow poop, and is basically a man-made course in the middle of a flat field. Not what I would consider a "world caliber" MX track. Unadilla, now that was a tough "natural terrain" track. I'm sure elk or MxDad or some of the other "southern" So. Cal crew can describe the track.

Nevertheless, having the MXDN in our house is a good thang :aj:

See ya'll there !!

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A buddy of mine said they are moving the track to a new location in June. On an old indian reservation I believe. Supposed to be a really great place for a MX track. And the full works facility - a No Fear Store, 5 different tracks, etc...

So I hope they get to moving soon :confused: Sounds like they have a lot of work to do!

TWright43

Apr 21, 2000
comp park is on flat ground and it does have the wonderful smell of cow manure in the air. but if you read the racerx part you would have noticed it said another track about 4 miles away. being as it is only a tick over an hour from me i will be there.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
So they're havin' the biggest motorcycle race in the world at a "theoretical", nonexistent track? Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but that's amazing.:eek:

Where is this guy? I need a negotiator.:silly:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by nephron
So they're havin' the biggest motorcycle race in the world at a "theoretical", nonexistent track? Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but that's amazing.:eek:

Where is this guy? I need a negotiator.:silly:
I would tend to agree. I mean after all, building a new MX track in California don't sound too easy. Won't they have to get permission from every tree hugger, homeless person, and hooker in the state first.:confused:

DK

Feb 26, 2000
Will not miss this!!! What would be the best airport to fly in for this and can anyone recommend hotels in the area or at least identify the closest town to stay in? This is going to be great...

Bill Purcell

Jan 25, 2000
Well, I hope that it works out since it is only about an hour away from me. However, I also have to wonder why Comp?? I've been to the current facility a few times and while it is nice, it is not a natural terrain track. It is a flat, jumpy track. I know that Comp is moving to a new facility, but I thought that was still a year or more away. So, will the MX Des Nations be the inaugural race???

While I have my concerns, I really hope that they make it work. The people that run the place are great and they actually listen to the riders. I hope that it works out for them (which in turn means it works for us :) ).

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Guess I'm going to have to tune up the family truckster! I was at Unadilla (I even still have the shirt) so it wold be a shame to miss 100% of the des nations held in the US :cool:

Kevin

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Well,
If they are moving the track to a near by indian reservation, that would be Soboba. Home of the Soboba trail ride put on every year by Malcolm Smith.
Also it being a reservation, they are immune to the beuracratic mess that is Socal. So no permits or invironmental studies needed.

mxbundy

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Ive read on motocrossgrandprix.com that Georges Jobe is STILL talking to Belguim clubs about holding the event, and that its a maybe that it goes to your shores. Would be the great event that it always is, should have been at Numar this year though. Also did anyone see the Smets interveiw, and also the new rule for the 'open' class thats coming into effect next year??

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Julius, you'd want to fly into Ontario International, (ONT) if it works out. As far as hotel, if you want fancy, check Palm Springs. Otherwise there are a multitude of Motel 6's, Travelodges, etc, along Interstate 10.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The event will be run according to a new format, with each of a team's three riders allowed to choose any engine displacement they want.

Does that mean RC could go out there on an AF?:)
Or does it mean they could all, if dumb enough, choose 125's?:confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom