Malden

Feb 28, 2000
Finally got a chance to ride my new toy and here are the initial impressions. Bear in mind im coming off a 01 CR 125 so it is what i can compare it to accurately.

Motor- Nice job Suzuki. Pulls nice out of turns, and with a small stab of the clutch it always lights up. Smooth strong and controllable powerband. Does not shreak in the top like the Honda did, but is doesnt make odd bogging noises and fall on its face either. (without a doubt more powerful than the honda)Jetting was WAYYYYYY off too. Spooged some. Suspect at least 2-3 pilot sizes leaner in order here. (pump gas 32:1 yamalube)Attempted to install optional lean pilot but i discovered that Suzuki hired hulk hogan part time to tighten the fuel bowl screws and i managed to strip the last one....

Suspention- Start off saying im a svelte 185 so the springs are probably to light. Front end was VERY busy on the small bumps ..which tired me out. Also bottomed pretty hard if i overjumped. The Honda forks BLEW these away. I also felt the front and rear werent balanced well, as the front was divey and blewthrough its initial travel to easily. Shock seemed ok, wasnt really broken in yet, so its hard to say. I think fork springs are definately in line though.Will need to do some work here.

Odds & Ends- Tall seat is great, easy to stand up. Clutch is actually good! Not Honda good, but not like the older Suzi's. Brakes are good, not nearly as good as Honda.Stock gearing is OK, even for my size! Plastic and graphics look trick....(my wife hates the bright yellow though). The free powerwasher is nice. The free team suzuki pit shirt is stupid.

Ill follow up when i get some more time on it.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by Malden
Attempted to install optional lean pilot but i discovered that Suzuki hired hulk hogan part time to tighten the fuel bowl screws and i managed to strip the last one....

I manage to do the same on our YZ125, the last one also. Try some needle nose vice grips. Broke it loose no problem. :cool:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
You don't have to remove the float bowl to access the pilot jet on the Mikuni carb. Remove the large bolt in the center of the bowl, the pilot jet is right next to the main jet, you just need a small thin blade screwdriver.:eek:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Anyone else have any impressions of this bike to share?

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Carb float bowl screws are a pain, especially on a brand new bike!! I had to buy a couple extras the last time I ordered from Service Honda because they strip most of the time! I always hit them with WD-49 after washing to keep them from corroding any. Also it helps to loosen the float bowl screws before loosening the plug on the bottom of the carb I've found. Last time I tried to remove the plug first, I stripped the carb float screw and needed to break out the dremel tool to get it out!

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
Same problem with screws on my 01KX. I rounded it so bad, I had to cut a new groove across the head of the screw with my dremel just to give a flat driver something to turn against. Finally got it off, and picked up an OEM replacement....make that 3 replacements......1 now, 2 spare...

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I have had quite a bit of time on one too. I mooch rides from my buddy!:D

Motor: Great. Not too much bottom, decent mid, but it pulls forever and has great top. Dispite the lack of bottom, it is very easy to ride. The top end is similar to my Tom Morgan built KX which is a very impressive bike.

Suspension: Decent. A bit stiff for me at 150 pounds. Plush nontheless. Great bottoming resistance and a little busy on stutter bumps. Rear end packs a bit IMO. Thn again, I was riding it with my biddies settings as I did not want to change it on him.

Brakes:
Front-great
Rear-WAY too touchy for me. I like modulation.

Gearing: Seemed to tall for me. I would add a couple to the rear.

Ergos: This as a razor! Nuff said. It is sweet. Very tall and the lever and peg positions were good, but the pegs could be a bit lower. After riding it and then riding my KX again, I felt like I was on a truck. It is amazing. My motor and suspension in that bike and I would never give it up.

Handling: Decent. A bit too quick for me. I am sure I would get used to it though. Also since it is very tall compared to my KX, I felt like it was gonna tip over. Center of Gravity is high

Jetting: Horrible. Way to rich everywhere. Getting better because of the cold.
:) :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Thanks, Aaron.

Top Bottom