BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
Hello Gentlemen,
I've elected to pick your brains since the vast majority of you have far more experience with these pups than do I --

Recently, I purchased an '02 husqvarna wr360 which had seen a reported 25 hours or so of use. This, I tend to believe as all of the wear areas indicate minimal usage. To say I'm delighted with the performance of this fabulous machine is an understatement. My current stable of two wheeled excitement includes an '03 KTM 300exc, '92 Honda CR500, and an '06 Husqvarna TE510. I can say without reservation that the 360 easily outperforms my EXC in virtually every performance criteria, and quite literally leaves one with the impression of the CR being a rather hefty bovine, albeit a powerful one. Nonetheless -- I've performed some rather personalized modifications to the WR since its purchase.

FMF gnarly pipe
Steahly flywheel
Boyesen reeds
Ohlins rear shock
Marzocchis revalved
BRP triple clamp w/ 1-1/8 protaper bars
Baja Designs 8" racelamp (for night trail rides which I do a lot of)

In any event -- enough of the :blah:

Do the cases on these machines require separating in order to service the wet side seal?
Reason being, I noticed less gearbox oil drained than I recall replenishing. The machine performs admirably, as stated, but this obviously is a concern. I've noted absolutely no jetting or splooge issues, nor odd idle or running characteristics. Since there's just nowhere else for the gear lube to go, it must be that the wetside seal is the culprit, which is the reason for my inquiry. What are the reasons, or at least some of, for this seals failure?
I appreciate all of your responses in advance.

Regards

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Nice bike. My friend has the '00 model with the 6-speed tranny.
From the parts diagram, both main seals are replaced from the outside of the crankcases. I don't have first hand knowledge of this - YMMV.
Any seal can simply wear out or have a shorter life due to manufacturing defect or improper installation. Sometimes main seal leakage is a sign of failing crank bearings.

onebrow

Sep 18, 2006
I have an '01 WR360. The crank seals can be serviced without splitting the case. An alternative source for your oil loss could be the countershaft sealing. There is an o-ring that resides behind the countershaft spacer. If the o-ring is shredded you will lose oil out the countershaft. If this is the source of your oil loss your chain should look like it's just been lubed even when it hasn't been.

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
Thanks guys,
So, I suppose I can just pop off the clutch basket and somehow get at the seal..Ok, well -- that's a gotta-do. I'm still puzzled as to why the seal is fetzered to begin with, but I'll take a shot at it this weekend.

Regards

Top Bottom