02' Yamaha xt 225 Carb. Problem narrow it down for me please

oscar1984

Jun 18, 2009
I just picked up an 02' Yamaha xt 225 for $200. It runs fine at idel and can be reved high while in neutral with the choke on but dies when choke is off once warmed up.

Here is the main problem: on the bottom of the carb. is a float bowl pan whith a nipple that a plastic line comes out of. Shortly after running gas pours out of this drainage line then shortly after the bike falls on its face and dies.

Please give me some ideas to get this thing running again.

I am a college student and just want to do some riding on my new toy. I would like to tackle the problem on my own but need a little help from you guys/girls.

Thank You

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That plastic tube is an overflow tube.

I'd pull the carb and tear it down.

First you'll need to give it a good internal cleaning, and make sure that all of the orifices are clean and clear. Blow thru them with compressed air to make sure they are clean.

Then make sure that the float is in good shape, also replace the float needle & seat. They're likely worn out.

Then once you have it all clean and the worn parts replaced, set the float height according to the service manual and you should be fine.

oscar1984

Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for your quick reply.

Does anyone know of a good link that provides a service manual for this bike? When I bought the bike it didn't come with one.

Thanks

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there is a whole site search xt225 I think it is xt225.com in the site you will fing a link to a free manual as I did

+1 on the cleaning your carb is clogged

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom