mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Any body race there 02 in offroad type events.
Want to know what you think, what kind of mods did you do?
I thought I wanted a new KTM 400SX, but dang it YAM. keeps sending me YZ buck checks, so I think i`ll stay on blue, get a 250 2 smoke this year and wait for the new 450F next year.
Was checking it out at the shop and really like the new layout, feels just like my F models.
From what I have read, the engine should lend it self well for off road racing, maybe a small flywheel weight might be in order, but it sounds like it is really smooth.

thanks
mxbundy

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I just bought a '02 yz 250 for enduros and scrambles (I have a '00 ktm 300 exc). The bike is very smooth, but the suspension needs to be softened for enduro work. My suspension is at Factory Connection as I write this note. The engine feels great but revs a little too quick and like you mentioned, just needs some flywheel weight to make it behave correctly for the woods. I'm also waiting for the e-line lighting kit and IMS tank -- then I'll be set. I've raced it in one harescramble and although the suspension was definiately to rough, I liked the neutral handling and smooth motor.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I spent all of Sunday running in the desert around Red Mountain on mine, the motor is WONDERFUL off road! It'll pull when you lug it and spring to life if you clutch it...pull everywhere...and I'd like to think I know pull! My other mount is a 520!;)

I like mine so well that I put my KTM 520 MXC up for sale, I'd rather ride the 250!:eek:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Wild hare,

Glad you responded, you see i`ve been 4 strks. since 99 when I got my 400F and then I got the 250F and just recently added the WR. So you would know how the transition would be for going back to the 2 smoker.
I really like the 4 strk. stile of power, but I need a little more power than the 250F can produce and I do not want the weight penalty for the 426F. I`m hopeing that there will be a lighter 450F for 03.
So is it friendly enough to help you make it through a 3 hour race or will the hit tire you out. How about when you get tired, will it pull you along with out getting all freaky and tiring you out even more?
I`m more concerned with the motor than the handiling or suspension. Being a longtime Yam. rider I know that they are excellant.

thanks
mxbundy

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I think it would be a great choice MxB .... but why not wait until next year for the 450F ? That's a lotta bucks to drop for just one season. Unless you dump the WR400 ... or I bet Thumbs might buy your 250F.

Supposedly the suspension on the new Yam takes awhile to break in.

Good luck Chuck ... you'll be a streak of greased lightning no matter what you ride !

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Eel - He doesn't have to wait until next year for a 450F! They're at my local shop now.... it'll just be a RED ONE not a Blue one!:p

mxbundy - Since I brought it up... you know the four stroke you are describing is the RED bike?( I'm not a RED guy or a Blue guy..I like'm all! LOL!) ;)

I'm debating a second YZ250P or a CRF to replace the 520. I've had a tough time going back and forth from two stroke to four.... the engine braking throws me off, until I adjust! (then it's time to swap and adjust again!). If you get back on a 2 stroke you'll have to relearn to use the rear brake and SHIFT! :)

I've raced D-37 desert on a YZ400F so I think I understand what you're asking. It's a trade off, the light weight of the two stroke is a VERY big plus to me. The YZ250 has a very smooth motor for a two stroke. I think the TPS and the ignition working together really help this bike be very smooth for a two stroke! I had an '00 CR-250 that I rode some off road, it was always a battle, the thing made power - but it was all or nothing! Not good for picking your way up a rocky hill !!!! The YZ is so different, it will lug, scream or just plain pull in the middle. So to answer your question, YES! IMHO you could ride this bike in long races without it being "tiring". But it's up to you and your riding style, the YZ250 will "roll on" nice and smooth but if you WHACK it open, it will try to stretch your arms! LOL!

I'm thinking hard about CRF, not that I think it's "better"...I just want to try the new toy too! :) And it's reported not to have much engine braking. Team Honda must think a lot of them as an "Off-road" bike, 3 out of 4 of their Off-road teams parked there 650's for it at the last "Best of the Desert" race. :)

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
MXB:

I switched from 250f to the 250P this year and I think you'll be pleased. The handling is virtually identical. The suspension is very similar and the power is a welcome change. The P is more narrow and I think that makes it feel a little more agile.

Top Bottom