path21

Sep 1, 2008
i decided to keep a 2005 yz 250. I ride alot of trails, roads etc.. no racing. It's just alittle too much, would like to mellow it out some. What are some cheap, easy ways to mellow the bike out, but keep it reliable. I know i could mess with the jettin, but then you get into fouled plugs etc... i would also like the bike to stall less at slower technical speeds. Lookin at a flywheel weight, 14 oz. how much will that mellow the bike. Where should i get a weight. cheap is key. any advice would work. i don't want to sell it, i'll lose my ass. that and theres few bikes to choose from around here. i need new sprokets also, what ratio?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Check the online retailers for what they have in flywheel weights. That might be a good way to help mellow the power a bit.

Plus go bigger on the rear sprocket a few teeth

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Go to Steahly's website for a FWW. Get the heaviest one.

I know i could mess with the jettin, but then you get into fouled plugs etc... i would also like the bike to stall less at slower technical speeds.
I found that correct jetting made the biggest difference in smoothing out the power, though. You can greatly increase the bottom end, reducing the 'hit,' and getting much better lugging capacity when you get all three jetting circuits dialed in. Jetting will eliminate the plug fouling completely. My bike will idle through a whole tank of fuel, if I would let it.

Search for "jetting" and "two stroke jetting" threads here. You'll learn a lot, and end up with a much more ridable bike. Read your owners manual, also. Lots of good information on correct jetting there, also.

The best solution for the stalling issue, though not cheap, is a Rekluse auto-clutch.

I also highly recommend the new FMF Q-Stealth silencer.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
IndyMX said:
Check the online retailers for what they have in flywheel weights. That might be a good way to help mellow the power a bit.

Plus go bigger on the rear sprocket a few teeth

Won't that exaggerate the power, gearing it lower? I would think less teeth on the rear sprocket to tame the power.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Someone said:
Won't that exaggerate the power, gearing it lower? I would think less teeth on the rear sprocket to tame the power.
I went one tooth larger, (49 to 50, I think.) With the revised jetting, this lets me have the option of almost walking speed, for the really nasty, tough stuff, like where you might actually have to push your bike. It then allows me to ride the woods in mostly 2nd & 3rd gears.

I liken my YZ's power (after getting it jetted properly,) to a KDX on steroids; plenty of 'grunt' to let me run a gear (or two,) taller in the tight stuff, with plenty of top end for when it opens up.

Make sure that when you replace your junk stock chain that you consider a 2 link longer chain. This will help reduce wheelies when you gas it up.

Now that I am riding my bike a gear or two up, (to keep the RPMs down,) stalling actually became more of an issue, when I made a mistake. This is where the Rekluse helped me out the most.

Top Bottom