KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Jeremy,
After much thought about everyones comments on the 02 bikes, we decided on a 02 YZ85 for my Son. We looked in the book to see what to set the race sag to and it said 3" to 3.2". We set it at 3.1" with only about 6 turns TIGHTER on the shock adjuster, I would have thought it would have needed to be loosened from stock for an 80lb rider, but not so. I also looked at the chart they had for springs, it had 3 springs listed the standard, one harder and one softer. According to their scale (which starts at 88lbs.) my Son lacks 8 lbs making the lower end of the of the softest spring. He rode the bike pretty aggressively yesterday at his practice track and everything looked fine for the most part, he jumped level or nose down as needed. I looked at the front forks and he never used the last 3.5" of fork travel through 20 or so laps. The track is pretty rough with a set of uphill whoops that he hits in 2nd gear pinned. While he had no bad landings, I watched for bouncing on his landings, but noticed no excessive bouncing on any of his landings. I checked and left all the clickers at their stock position at this point. This winter we will most likely be sending the suspension to you to customize for him, but should I do anything at this point?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
KX Rider,
If he is happy and it sounds like he is I would maybe lighten the compression up a tad or reduce the oil level but at 13 he is about ready to hit the ol growth spurt so I would leave it till winter durring which he will likely put on the needed weight!

BTW Congratulations on buying the first 80 with real suspension!

Jer

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Jeremy,
Trevor just turned 9 in March! He is 4'10' and weighs 80 lbs. I will lighten the compression a couple of clicks, but how much should I lower the oil level?
BTW, thanks big time for the info. Trevor raced his new YZ85 last Saturday and beat 11 of 12 riders in the below 100 beginner class. They said he would not be racing this class again, he only finished 2nd due to falling on the first lap in a curve. He suprised the heck out of me. :eek: I thought he would have problems keeping it on the pipe, but this is not a problem for him, it just made him faster. Here is a picture of him receiving his 2001 series 2nd place trophy

Last edited:

Top Bottom