sledman

Oct 23, 2002
So what's up with 220's having problems with pistons. Are all years, through current affected? What are the major causes of the problems? What can I do to not have problems?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The bike is virtually unchanged for many years so one would expect the piston is unchanged also. Some broke - some didn't. When I heard this, I disassembled mine and it's frightening !! The skirt of that OEM is way too thin and criss crossed with sharp casting marks -just inviting cracks to form. I immediately replaced it with a Weisco & it runs strong [but noisy - as did the oem]. If you go Weisco, make sure the con rod circlips are completely seated. Some didn't seat properly, came out and ruined engines.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The general rule of thumb is they only have problems when in a quite modified hard-ridden bike.

Don't think that would make me feel any better about it.

Keep in mind the wiseco fit issues. They are a forged piston and require a bit more clearance than a cast piston. Certainly DO measure it, though. Break it in right!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
My stock 220 piston has 4 seasons on it and no problems (previous owners fault.) I am replacing it with a Wiesco this winter. I will be sure to measure the bore and the piston before installing.

Top Bottom