03 220.want to imprve it.any ideas???

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Bought me an 03 kdx 220 bout 3 months ago (as most of you problably know by now since I've received good, quality advice from many of you already) and it's in top shape. A few scratches and slightly faded plastics, but I took care of all that ..... New plastics and I had me some shroud graphics made with the "monster" logo and a matching trim kit.....it looks freakin' sweet !! Now, I'm ready to get buisey on the "inside". What could I do to make it faster and just overall better ??? I know it's not a mx bike, but how do you get more top end out of these bikes ?? I'm not a rich man so I'd like to start with some inexpensive tricks and work my way up to the "money mods". Any ideas about any tricks or extras to make it better would be greatly apreciated. Thanks again guys (and girls)!!!

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
You didnt post whether it was bone stock or piped or anything. I would say vforce reeds, aftermarket exhaust if you dont already have that and if you want more topend change the gearing. I find my dads has plenty of topend for what it is at stock gearing, but thats just me.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
on mine i used a 35mm carb (off a 200), boyesen power reeds, pc pipe, wiseco piston, and changed the gearing to 12/47. it ripped after doing this, i also changed the muffler for a turbine core item but that did nothing for power only weighed slightly less.
on the 220 you can also modify the head to decrease the squish band and raise compression.
definitly remove the airbox lid and spend time getting the jetting right or everything else is a waste of time...

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
I do have the fmf gold series gnarly and a turbine core 2 silencer along with the 35mm carb. I've toyed with the jetting and feel it's close to dead on. I think the issue is with myself and not the bike. I'm really starting to feel as if I should've went with a kx or yz. I LOVE my kdx, but I wanna race !!!! I looked into harescrambles, but not much of that going on where I live. My son is 11, rides a yz 85 (with some really nice mods), and is about to have his first race. I just turned 30 so I feel like I may still have a shot if I get back in now. Being out there at the track with him and watching riders my age really has me thinking that with the right bike I could really be competitve. I race from age 10 to 16 and was really good towards the end there. I consistantly placed 3rd or better winning 3 or 4 of my later races. Anyway....sorry guys, there I go again.....rambling on about the "glory days". It's just that I think about it a lot and watching my son rip it up..... I just don't know if I can keep the urge surpressed anymore. So in concluding this long and boring outloud thought, I think I'm gonna put the KXD up 4 sale and and go for it. Thanks for all the good ideas and more importantly thanks for listening. :blah:

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
The other thought to confuse things is this . If your tight woods riding go with a FMF or PC torque pipe . If your riding 1/2 to wide open throttle then buy the rev pipe. I've tryed both and their two different animals . I've come to the conclusion that even though the top end of a rev pipe is a real rush , with the type of riding we do I would only utilize that maybe 10% of the time.
A torque pipe for New England rocks and roots :ride:

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
I'm really starting to feel as if I should've went with a kx or yz. I LOVE my kdx, but I wanna race !!!!
thats what happened to me......
I think I'm gonna put the KXD up 4 sale and and go for it.
was the best thing i ever did....
dont get me wrong i loved my kdx but i was turning it into something its not and was never really happy with the handling.
changed it for a cr250 (woods modified) and was a faster rider overnight.

duson

Apr 21, 2008
"I had me some shroud graphics made with the 'monster' logo and a matching trim kit"

I was looking for exactly these same things - where did you have yours made? How much were they?

Thanks!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you are looking to MX it, definitely get a MX dedicated bike. Off road the KDX can hang pretty good at a lower level, but I'll argue that once you get to a mid/fast B pace it's time to move on (unless you like modding the bejezzus out of the thing).

I'm with steve.emma , I went to a woods modded 05 YZ250 from my 03 KDX220 (revalved, stiffer fork springs, Freddete porting, carb bore, head mod, reeds, FMF rev pipe, etc etc etc). I was instantly faster, able to hit obsticles harder and dive into nasty sections with much more speed and confidence. I miss the KDX, but am definitely better off on the YZ.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I modded the heck out of my KDX220 - Airbox, RB carb mod, porting, suspension....The best mod by far was the day I sold it and bought a KTM.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
Aren't we supposed to be helping this guy improve his 220 ?

We all realize that a KDX is not a cutting edge dirt bike , but it is
a great all around play bike. :cool:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
NCFRC said:
Aren't we supposed to be helping this guy improve his 220 ?

We all realize that a KDX is not a cutting edge dirt bike , but it is
a great all around play bike. :cool:

In his second post in this thread cowasucky said that he wants to race competitive motocross. A playbike just doesn't fit that bill.

Top Bottom