03 Cr250 Set Up

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by bclapham
i know the gentlemens rules of conduct in here, please let me know if i have overstepped the mark and i can hit the edit button,;)

I think I missed the memo...hope everyone will forgive me of my previous posts in the past.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont see anyone, asking anything out of bounds-carry on my good men.These threads are really good.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
hehe, gentlemans rules....out of bounds.....sounds like golf almost.

ive got to admit, there are quite a few golf courses out there that would make excellent MX parks. we have the world famous torrey pines course outside my office window, maybe i should take the mighty YZ for a spin up the 9th!:p

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Hey guys, I'll be glad to help, but I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Cooperland and I'm in a frenzy right now. Also, the pc is going in for slight mods while I'm gone and this one will become the kids and I'm getting my new Dell dude. So, I dunno whats going to happen with that as I'm wiping everything off this one for now. I'll be back on the 18th.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Shocknut
( I'm old and fairly slow) :)
Hell, I'm old and very slow.

I'm with you on the constant adjusting deal...I do the same. Not so much with the sag though. You've given me yet another variable to blame my riding on. ;)

You just don't want to break your 4 year streak....I understand. LOL No really, I thought it'd be interesting to see if those numbers meant much. I also agree with personal preference being a huge variable.

Thanks,
Scott

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I'm having my forks re-valved, but for different reasons. As far as the headshake at high speed and on acceleration, raising the forks only a few mm made a huge difference. amazing.

I am sending my forks out this year and possibly my shock next year. I want to see how the fork thing works first and also spread out my cash if need be.

Chief

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
For guys like you cr forks r way too progressive on the base valve. Dont be fooled .

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
the smaller bikes should have the same percentage of sag as a larger bike.ie 33% of wheel travel gives you a rough guide to sag.

Last edited:

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
After re-reading your post Walt im sure re setting your rider height and therefore putting more weight on your forks and softening your fork clickers will have u heading in the desired direction.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
I am all dialed in at 100 mm, and then I will try some clicks. I will let you know after the weekend.

Thanks, Walt

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Originally posted by bscottr

Doc,
If I remember correctly, you prefer to set the free sag first and then check the race sag. I can't remember why you preferred this method. Dang CRS! ;) Can you remind me? Thx

bscottr......sorry I haven't been on for awhile but yes that is my method. Not that it's the "right" way to do things but I do it because I always like the free sag to feel a certain way when I start with someone. That has to be right first in my opinion. Once set then just a quick measurement with the rider on the bike will let me know if the spring is close. Like shocknut said tho......everyone likes a different feel so this is just my starting point.

doc

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You will want to verify on the little bikes but I remember reading that they should be set at roughly 1/3 of total travel.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I'm back but not entirely. Still dealing with pc issues. This one ain't even home yet. Hope to be back soon though. Mounds of work to get caught up on too and then will start to work with some really cool stuff... I hope. This would be a really wonderful time of year if taxes weren't involved.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
oh, forgot. Bruce you DO need to revalve buddy. It's just too much unless you ride sand all the time.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
The SoCal rains went away and the tracks opened back up this past weekend so I was able to get out and check the new set up. Bottom line, you guys rock. It is like a new new bike. Up until now I was kind of bummed out because I bought my first new bike and It wasn't all that much fun to ride. I kind of actually preferred my old 94 KX. Setting the sag up correctly and then softening up the forks two clicks changed everything. What was really amazing was how many more laps I could do since the bike wasn't beating the snot out of me. At 38, every lap is a bonus!

Thanks again to all of those that helped.

- Walt

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…