03 kdx 220r tire pressure

larryd

Aug 6, 2005
I just bought a kdx 220r, and I am still waiting for a factory service manual. Can anyone tell me what psi I should set my tires at? Also I am told that I need to change my gear oil every coupe of rides, the local shop set me up with Clutch saver, and told me the case holds about 3/4 of a quart, when I filled the case, I was only able to get about 1/2 in. After a couple of hours, the level was way low. Any tips. Thanks

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I run 12 psi front and 10 psi back unless I'm going to see lots of rocks...then I add 1 psi to those figures.

I would run what the manual recommends (motorcycle grade 10w40) or an equivalent full synthetic (without friction modifiers). Most of us put the whole quart in...it helps quiet the excessive crank case noise that is unique to the KDX. I've not had a problem getting the whole quart in, but if you're having trouble then put what you can in, ride the bike around for 30 seconds, then put the rest of the quart in. BTW, I don't change the oil all that often. Maybe a couple of times a season (with full synthetic). If you ever have clutch slippage run ATF for one outing then go back to synthetic. That should clean up any glazing build up on the clutch plates.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Also make sure the bike is good and level when checking the oil level. Just a slight lean can make the site glass go from empty to full. Warming it up before draining also make the oil come out easier and more completely.

Rhodester says he doesn't change oil that often but uses synthetic...I use plain old oil and change often. Do whatever is convenient for you and have fun riding. The KDX really doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance (compared to some other bikes)but loves to be ridden.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I run about -12-13psi. I have a S12 on the front and a 756 on the rear. I had an M12 on the rear, but I found the sidewalls to be weak, since something slit the sidewall just above the rim bead. I like the 756 much better than the M12. Great traction all around, where the M12 was good except for loose & hard pack. The s12 hooks up nice tho

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…