Jul 20, 2009
Greetings!

I recently purchased a 1998 KDX 220R - my first two-smoker after years of riding thumpers. The day after I brought it home [of course] I began having problems starting it. This problem arose after it died while riding out in the woods. I bump started it and got it back home, but just barely. It acted as if it was starved for gas, or spark was intermittent. After installing plug and it started again, but now often requiring bump starting down a hill. Also, when fully warmed up and idling, it sometimes stalls, and is a bear to start again. Overall, it runs pretty well, but seems to be bogging down when revved high under load - ie. rpms seem to top out too early then it runs rough. I checked petcock and confirmed gas is running fine. Checked drain on bottom bowl to check gas is getting into carb.

OK... I have been reading posts and know I have to check reed valve and will dismantle and clean carb. After a bit more reading, I will check the KIPS system. I will also try some of the "starting technique" tricks I read of - leaning bike, no throttle with choke, etc.

One main question right now. When spark plug removed and grounded on case and engine turned over, should visible spark be bright and somewhat blue as I am used to with 4 strokes? The spark on this KDX is only visible in the dark. The spark is THERE... but it seems tiny, and is impossible to see during day, even when plug is in shadow. I am wondering if my starting problems are due to problem with stator or coil. But when I get it started, it runs great... so???

In any event, I am looking forward to learning about jetting and tuning and the finer points of KDX obsession. And I can already tell there are lots of kind folks here who know their stuff and are happy to share the wealth. Thanks in advance for your help. If you are interested in learning the fine art of jazz guitar, perhaps I can return the favor!

Dennis in Cedarville, Oh

Top Bottom