03 kx 250 bottom shock bearing again.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Think kawa made the bottom shock bearing better, think again.I greased my linkage from new. I have 8 rides on it took it apart to grease it again and the plastic that sits in between the needle bearings was falling apart.The bearings were fine so I just packed the cage with grease before I installed the bearings,I also put the 03 bearings cage in my 00 kx I will be taking that apart after a few rides to take the broken plastic out.If anyone gets a new bearing for the 03 just break the plastic in between the bearings,IT IS GOING TO BREAK ANYWAY! I was kind of skeptical about the plastic in the bearing design. :| :|

Last edited:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by hoov165x
That plastic is actually part of a self lubricating bearing assembly. It is NOT designed as a cage. No grease required!
Mike

The plastic does not hold up,like I said, I stuffed the bearings back in the cage after I took out the broken plastic.I also doubt it is a self lubricating bearing, the collars are metal and so are the bearings metal to metal.I will give a report after a few rides with just the bearings in the cage without the plastic. Another note the bearings are different from previous years the ends are not needled they are roller type on both ends.

Last edited:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
On my CR the bearings have a similar plastic collar. However, its only deisgned to hold the bearings in place during manufacturing or shipping and is supposed to be thrown away when installed.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Peer,thats what I was thinking earlier . You are probably correct!!!! The only thing is with the kx bearing it is plastic in between the bearings not a collar you can just take out.

Last edited:

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Big red Ive got some stuff that lubes these bearings really well and stays in there its available at gun shops and is called bullet lube. Its actually a beeswax and it goes on wet and dries to a grease . Gets in to regular Heim joints real well too espescially if you warm up the heim with a heat gun and it soaks in . Now I know that you dont have a heim on your KX but it might work better than what your using. Maybe you should try going to like Motion bearing in Trenton and getting a heim setup to replace the needle bearing . Ive done that on some CRs and KX 65s KX65s have crappy rubber bushing top shock mount that squishes out the sides when bottoming or big riders abuse them.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Thanks Dean I will heed your advice,I am going to see how long the bearings hold up without the plastic,being that they are rollered at the ends,thanks Dean.

Top Bottom