Play in new linkage bearings?

BSer

May 1, 2001
Help.

I have a 2002 YZ125 and had never touched or greased the rear shock inkage until this year. I've owned the bike since new and don't ride it more than a few times a year anymore.

Anyway, before I touched anything, there was no play in the linkage and it appeared to work fine. When I took it apart I wasn't exactly sure how these bearings were supposed to look, so since I had it apart anyway decided to replace all the linkage bearings by using the kit from Pivot Works.

I put everything back together and now there is play in the linkage? How can this be? The bearings were press fit into the linkage and the shafts can't be worn since there was no play before I took it apart.

:bang: Any ideas?

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
i just did my linkage bearings with the pivot works kit also and i have no play? did you replace the shafts and check the bolts for wear and torque them correctly?

BSer

May 1, 2001
Yes, I torqued them to the spec's in the manual...twice. I didn't replace the shafts. They didn't appear to be worn by visual inspection. Is it common procedure to replace the shafts also?

The other thing that happened during the installation, and I don't think has anything to do with the play but figure I would mention it, I put the bearings in the wrong linkages and had to press them out and then back into the correct linkage.

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
my kit came with new shafts but typically you would be able to see wear or feel any grooves, you should probly consider checking those shafts or even replacing them. when i did mine my bolts were showing wear badly so i did those also and its very tight with zero play. as far as putting the bearing in the wrong place i would imagine they would be fine if there was no damage done (bent needles, cages ect.). im sure its not recommended to uninstall and reintall bearings but you never know.

BSer

May 1, 2001
Thanks, I guess I'll have to pull it apart again (3rd time) and find out where the slop is. I'm all for preventive maintenance, but I think this fits into the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

Top Bottom