russ17

Aug 27, 2002
The new 03 Kx's have a 2 stage active valve .What are the engineers thinking or are we just stage happy. Marcus has tested single stage vs the 2 with very little differences from what I read.If stages create dead spots why are they adding more to the equation.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
russ although it has a 2 stage active stack it also has a reasonable amount of lift so im not sure they are getting the benefit of it-when i have used 2 stage active setups i used very low lifts-something like 0.2mm.Interested to hear others comments on this topic.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Russ,
The 2 stage Active is something that our Forum Friend Dewherum was useing on his KTM for some time. I don't know any of the deatials but that was the first I had heard of it in use till Kaw came out with their version.

I think there may be quite a bit of merrit to the concept, and we've been looking into how to exstract the most advantage. The purpose seems to be a way to deal with the highspeed compression where you have little travel being used but the speeds are high. So it imporves the speed responce of the fork as still has good valve area control.

Marcus said something important here, and In general I think his floats are conservative, with the two stage set-up less flaot is utilazed, which makes for more consistnet area control (Really good) but material strain is increased so your not gonna be able to implament .1's against the face.

So to sum it up, Its a good idea, that is still be formated, and will be for some time I'm sure..

The flaot can be reduced for all aplications (Very good)

Material and overall stiffness coeifecnt, plus staging options are dificult, that ties back in with the first statment.

BR,
Jer

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
So could this lead to running higher oil levels and in return mid speed plushness. It would be nice if there was away that we could have an ajustibile float for different applications and riders speeds ect. All though there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the float that I am running in my Yz's for woods set ups than some of the mx that i have seen here but it sure wood be nice just to see how far you could go from one end to the other with a turn.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Totally doable.. And WP kind of has it on the old 50mm Exstreme fork.. "Kinda"

I think thats what the twin adjuster is on the Factory KYB forks..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom