mike76

Mar 1, 2003
Well I am just about to buy my first bike in four years. My last bike was a 1991 KX250 that I rode mostly on trails and some back yard tracks a little. I am almost certain I'm going to buy a 03 YZ250F but the dealer won't let me ride one first. I can't find any 01-03's for sale used so I haven't really been able to ride one yet but everyone I have talk to loves them. I plan on riding mostly trails and every once and a while some tracks with buddies for fun (not racing). I'm just a little worried that the 250F might not have enough power for what I was used to. The KX was smooth but really heavy and I rode a tricked out 96 CR125 that made me realize the lighter weight was nice. My thoughts are the 250F will be lighter than a 250 2 stroke yet have a more usable power band than the 125's so it will be about right. Anyone else go from a 250 2 stroke to the 250F and still be happy with the power etc.?? Thanks I need to make a decision by month end as getting a 250F here is tough. They sell faster than they stock them.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I own the YZ450F and it has PLENTY of power.  I recently rode a WR250F, 03, and that bike was a blast.  Very nimble, comfortable and the power very usable and controllable.  The suspension was quite nice in the woods.  I didn't get the bike on the track but I feel it would handle it with to problem.  Riding the WR on the track would require adjustments to the suspension but that is easily accomplished.  Plus, the WR can have the timing modified to the YZ timing and you will have a screamer of a trail bike. 
The YZ will have a stiffer suspension, less flywheel weight, and will rev quicker than a WR.  This will make it "feel" more powerful that the WR but it is merely a "seat of the pants" feel.  If you are going to trail ride 90% of the time, go with a WR.  If you are going to run on the track 15% of the time or more often then get the YZ. 
For comparison, the WR has a larger tank and E-start.  The 03's have auto-decompression so there is no "drill" in starting them.  You'll be happy with either of these bikes.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well said Swift. I can't add much, but if you decide to go with the WR, gimme a shout, we'll compare notes.

dejackson

Jan 4, 2002
Mike76, I just went from an 02' YZ250 2-stroke to an 03' YZ250F. At first I missed the power, but not for long. Before the first day of riding was over I was faster on the 250F and not as tired. It truely is a geat bike. I have since modified it with a carbon fiber GTYR exhaust system (a little loud but AMA legal) and the Vortex ignition. If noise is not an issue these mods will give it power comparable to your old KX250.

mike76

Mar 1, 2003
Thanks for the heads up guys. I think I will probably go for the YZ250F. Everyone keeps telling me once you ride one you will never go back to a two stroke. So I guess I'll see if I add to the total. I really want a light bike that I can crank around but not the hit and miss narrow power band of the two strokes so I think it should be a good fit. Now I just hope I can get one without waiting a month....

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
no one really adressed your issue on bike weight...keep in mind that the YZ250F is, and feels about the same weight as a modern 250 2 stroke. It definitely doesn't feel as light as a 125 two stroke. For the woods, it doesn't have much low end but does have very nice throttle response and a broader range of power than a 125.

I think the YZ is a great bike, I really enjoy riding it, but you need to know the "cons" as well as the "pros". I haven't ridden the WR yet, so can't speak on that.

hockey4life

Mar 9, 2003
i noticed in one of the previous replys someone said that the WR can be timed to yz that is true with the 01 and 02 but the 03 cannot due to some changes made to the cam.

Top Bottom